Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 mag mpi rebuilds or pro chargers? >

454 mag mpi rebuilds or pro chargers?

Notices

454 mag mpi rebuilds or pro chargers?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a M1 Procharger kit on my friends 28' Nordic 454 mpi. You would hit 80 easily doing this upgrade. Injectors are fine if keeping it stock. If you were buying a new kit I would probably go with the M3. As Young Performance said the sidemount Whipple is a good option, as I have that on my 502mpi. I have say I like the whipple better, as I think it is a better complete system, but my buddy drove the crap out of the Nordic and never had a problem other than cavitating the fuel pump. We forklifted it with 1/2" fuel lines and upgraded water seperator and that problem was solved. If the motors are stock, I can't emphasize enough that you need to change the head gaskets. In fact I would say don't install either option if you don't change the head gaskets. The new Whipple kit is a very nice looking functioning addon and would be my best choice, but start at around $6500.
Last option as Sporl said, go NA to 540ci, but it will cost you more $$$
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28Eliminator
I installed a M1 Procharger kit on my friends 28' Nordic 454 mpi. You would hit 80 easily doing this upgrade. Injectors are fine if keeping it stock. If you were buying a new kit I would probably go with the M3. As Young Performance said the sidemount Whipple is a good option, as I have that on my 502mpi. I have say I like the whipple better, as I think it is a better complete system, but my buddy drove the crap out of the Nordic and never had a problem other than cavitating the fuel pump. We forklifted it with 1/2" fuel lines and upgraded water seperator and that problem was solved. If the motors are stock, I can't emphasize enough that you need to change the head gaskets. In fact I would say don't install either option if you don't change the head gaskets. The new Whipple kit is a very nice looking functioning addon and would be my best choice, but start at around $6500.
Last option as Sporl said, go NA to 540ci, but it will cost you more $$$
Good thought on the head gaskets (Felpro) or ??? I guess I was trying to stay around $4500-$5000 bucks for each set up with me doing the grunt work. My Formula 312 Fastec has limited space side to side on the egines. There is about 16-18" in front though.
Any ideas where to get these set ups.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

As for a head gasket, if you are supercharging it, then use a Cometic. If you are staying NA, then the Fel Pro gasket is fine.
A new Procharger or Whipple kit alone will run over 5K. If you need to stay in that range, then look for some good used kits. They are available regularly online at pretty reduced prices. I will see what I can get a new Procharger for and get back with you.
Eddie
Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
As for a head gasket, if you are supercharging it, then use a Cometic. If you are staying NA, then the Fel Pro gasket is fine.
A new Procharger or Whipple kit alone will run over 5K. If you need to stay in that range, then look for some good used kits. They are available regularly online at pretty reduced prices. I will see what I can get a new Procharger for and get back with you.
Eddie
Thanks,, I talked to pro=chargers Tech.. and he said with the M-1 and running 5psi the head gaskets I have stock should be fine.. He mentioned that if you use copper or ??? head gaskets and you have an issue you could blow more than just the head gasket. Does that sound right?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Cometic is the way to go IMO !!!!!!
+ i would stroke them a little and add prochargers
Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by silent lucidity
Thanks,, I talked to pro=chargers Tech.. and he said with the M-1 and running 5psi the head gaskets I have stock should be fine.. He mentioned that if you use copper or ??? head gaskets and you have an issue you could blow more than just the head gasket. Does that sound right?
I have been dealing with Procharger for a few weeks now on my install, they know NOTHING about anything except selling their units.....I have learned to listen to people who have actually installed the units on various applications.....Mr. Young has awesome info as do some members who run Prochargers......from what I understand, the main things to a successful install is the CORRECT parts, appropriate settings and monitoring these via gauges and sending units......fuel flow and pressure, water flow and pressure and engine heat are the things I will be watching....good luck with this...

PS. Having the ECM re-programed is a big must, I used Mark Boos.....will update how that goes.....
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed, do not listen to anything that Procharger tells you. You need to change the head gaskets if you are installing the blower.....Period. That is if you want it to live.
As mentioned, you also need to program the ecm. Procharger will tell you that you don't, but trust me, you need to. It will foul plugs at idle and more than likely be to lean on top. I've done quite a few of them so I can also tune the ecm. Mark is a great guy and he will do a great job with the programming as well.
Eddie
Old 01-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered

Agreed also with every point made. When we put the head gaskets on my friends 454 mpi during the Procharger install, they looked like they were ready to blow through, and I'm pretty sure you will see the same thing in yours. They are built for what they are used for. If you want to boost it to around 600HP, the stock head gasket will not take the increased cylinder pressure. Whipple also doesn't say the head gaskets need to be changed, but mine lasted less than 1 year because I didn't change them to begin with. The cometics are the best, but the felpros are 10 times better than the stock ones. As for the statement "if you use copper or ??? head gaskets and you have an issue you could blow more than just the head gasket.", that is just dumb advice. There isn't a head gasket built that will keep a motor running if something is wrong with fuel, cooling, timing. Do yourself a big favor and change them. or they will leave you stranded, and usually at the worst possible time like during a storm, or during a family boating vacation.