Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
TR TRS drive seal >

TR TRS drive seal

Notices

TR TRS drive seal

Old 05-15-2002, 06:59 PM
hystat

Default TR TRS drive seal

Hello, I have a 1981 TR drive/Mercruiser Transmission (not Borg Warner. I removed the drive and found dexron (from the trans) in the driveshaft bellows.
There is a stainless steel spring that came out with the d/s (clipped to it), and a seal all chewed up where the spring clips on. I'm wondering how that spring should go back in, and how the seal should go. I cannot find the seal at hlsm1.com, but the spring is 24-62727.
The spring is a bit chewed on the end, too.

Just wondering if anyone here has "been there, done that".
Everything is running fine, and the dexron doesn't seem to be a problem in the bellows, do I necessarily need to fix this?. The U joint seems to like being in oil...

Thanks in advance for any info/ part # of the seal...

Old 05-15-2002, 08:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can almost guarantee you what you did. When you took out the drive shaft with the spring on the front was there a metal washer btwn that spring and the seal on the end of the tranny? It slides over the drive shaft in front of the spring and keeps the spring off that last seal in the transmision. If you lost that then you have to get one made as they are no longer available. Look in the transmision however because if it fell off it is likely in there. Good luck

Jon
Old 05-15-2002, 09:36 PM
hystat

thanks for the reply so quickly.
The trans was rebuilt before I purchased the boat- there is evidence of slightly shoddy work (1 of the small, 1/4" or 5/16" nuts is missing off the bearing retainer I see in there- at least I think that's a bearing retainer)
nothing came out other than the spring.
I will look in again- there is some sort of washer covering that bearing- I assumed it was part of the bearing like an oil slinger, but maybe that is the washer...or part of the seal-

what is the function of the spring? to hold preload on that bearing? to hold the seal.

My Clymer manual says nada on this area...

Old 05-15-2002, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do NOT look to Clymer for help here!! I could try to fax you the right info. from my Merc books but I would probably just screw it up. Try to find the right service info. locally and if you can't, PM me and we'll work something out. --- Jer
Old 05-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

The spring is there to help align the u-joint when you install the drive. The washer is there to keep the spring off of the seal, it is normally held in place with a 1/16 oring. The seal is sold as part of the seal kit, but I think we have some loose ones and some washers too. Jon said the washer could have fallen inside the tailstock.

You need to pul the tailstock off (engine out of boat) to replace the seal, pisser!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that I have a similar issue... marina pulled engine to replace the merctrans and say that they do not see the washer.... is it possible to reinstall the drive without the spring and washer and have everything work???