Notices

Whipples

Old 05-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Whipples

I installed Whipple Superchargers and when the motors were started the Whipples were screaming. Checked everything out and found both intake manifolds had not sealed to the heads. When I was installing them I thought the manifolds were too wide for the motor. I had to pull them in with the bolts. Just torquing to their specs.I had to wait three extra weeks for the Whipples because Whipple was having problems gitting the manifolds. I think they missed when machining the manifolds. Anybody else have problems or info about this?
Old 05-17-2002, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quiet,

Yeah, I heard something about this through the grapevine. A shop near me run by a guy by the name of Keith Brommelkamp (sp?) that has a real good rep discovered it and brougth it to Whipples attn. recently. Sorry I don't have his number right now.

Where do you boat? I'm on the Chain most weekends, launching out of Watts. I bought a Whipple for my 502 MPI but I'm not installing it until I can afford to upgrade my Bravo. Looking at Teague platinum XR or IMCO extreme SC units.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Registered

Maybe Dustin knows the answer?? He often posts here helping however/whoever he can.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mark, Thanks for the info. If you find that guys # I'd like to talk to him. I asked Dustin if anybody else had this problem and he said no. Maybe it just hasn't shown up yet. He did say if they measure different for the stock manifolds that he would replace them. I will tear them down this weekend. I was planning to run it this weekend, not start over. Is good the weather stinks, I'd be real upset if it was 80 and sunny.

I keep my boat in South Haven, Michigan and for the most part stay on Lake Michigan. I've heard horror stories about the Chain.

Roger
Old 05-18-2002, 01:13 AM
Blueman

Storm
Just a thought, has there been any deck or head work?
I know if there has been alot milled off the deck and heads you need to mill the intake also. Like I said just a thought.
Hope this helps

Old 05-18-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Roger,

Keith's # is 815-363-9782

He's got a marine repair/performance business and does excellent work. His shop is well equiped and immaculate.

Mark S.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The motors have never been worked on. The boat is a 1993 but was titled in 1999. The motors only have 200 hrs on them.

I think it may be my doing. This year motor has a pan under the manifold that I understand is not on the newer models. Dustin asked if I cut the gaskets to fit the pan. I didn't and when I took the manifolds off I could see where the gaskets pressed on the pan tabs. I still plan to compair the Whipple manifolds to the original ones for size. If they measure the same, a new set of gaskets and a pair of scissors may get this thing running. I remember when I was installing the gaskets that they covered the tabs but if they weren't cut it didn't matter. Guess what. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the help. Mark, I'll give that guy a call. Does anybody know the function of that pan and can I leave it out?

Roger
Old 05-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Blueman

Better to leave it in, it keeps hot oil off the bottom of the intake. The intake will stay cooler and the oil will return to the bottom of the pan quicker. Also you can just set the intake on the motor without the gaskets to see your clearances.
Hope this helps

Old 05-29-2002, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The gaskets did the trick. The motors started without screeming. I do have another problem. As advised, I left out the thermostats and put on crossovers to cool them down. I think it works too good with Lake Michigan 45 F. water temp. After running hard the temp gauges hardly mooved. The motors didn't want to idle and ran real rich. It fouled the plugs to the point that the motors would not start. NGK recommended that I use NGK-R5673-8. I think they are too cold or that I should use a thermostat. A friend said he had the same problem and had to install thermostats with holes drilled in them. I pulled a couple of plugs. They were black and I had alot of black smoke when idleing Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:11 AM
Registered

Quiet Storm,

I have just finished installing a pair of Whipples on my twin 454s. When I was taking with Dustin he recommended that I have the carbs tuned for a supercharger application by Gary at GT Performance which I did, all I have had to do was bolt everything together, adjust float levels and idle mixture and it was almost perfect. I have since increased the secondary jet sizes for safety but they idle clean and there is no hesitation from idle to the rev limiter.

Quick Reply: Whipples

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.