Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim Indicator?? >

Trim Indicator??

Notices

Trim Indicator??

Old 05-17-2002, 04:19 PM
patrick22309

Default Trim Indicator??

My trim indicator is dead and never worked (alpha). Anyone have any quick troubleshooting tips? I am new to sterndrives so please talk slow. Thanks for all the great help I have already received.

Old 05-17-2002, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a whole lot of info. you've given us there, Patrick but the sending units on the pivots of the gimble ring (starboard side for indicator sender and port for trim limit) are a common problem. Wires get pinched and severed, water gets into the things and they cease to function, all kinds of things. The kit from Merc. includes both sides and they're just a ball to change but you don't have to pull the gimble and stuff if you have the right swively sockets. Enjoy! --- Jer
Old 05-18-2002, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim sender

I tried to email you directly but your profile refused it. Not very sporting! Your trim indicator proublem is usually the sending unit that is under water every time your boat gets wet. It's located on the starbord side of the steering fork(RIGHT SIDE)
Old 05-18-2002, 02:09 AM
doug hess

Default To diagnose problem

To verify that the problem is the trim position sender find where the wires from it connect to the engine wiring harness near the bracket by cylinder #2 with 55 Amp circuit breaker and slave solenoid. The trim sender cable looks like heavy black 2 wire lamp cord and has two bullet slip connectors in plastic sleeves.

Pull the connectors apart and temporarily connect the two engine harmess ones together. The brown/white wire goes to the dash gauge and the black to ground.

With the ignition power on the trim gauge should peg full up if the problem is in the sender. If the gauge does not move then you have a interior problem.

By the book replacing the sender requires removing the outer gimbal hinge pins and uncoupling the big and small bellows. If you are not a purist, and appearance is not a big issue, there is a simpler way. Mount the sender, reversed 180 degrees, with the wires point aft. Then cable tie the sender wire up the back of the gimbal and route the wire through a 3/8" hole drilled in the transom to the top right of the I/O upper.

It is best to buy and replace the whole assembly with trim sensor and trim swith with common "Y" cable. The old cable insulation degenerates and this is not really a good place to have splices anyway.

Doug

Last edited by doug hess; 05-18-2002 at 10:50 AM.

Old 05-20-2002, 08:52 AM
patrick22309

Default Great info!

Sorry for that e-mail kickback formula233. I went back and checked my profile and I think fixed the problem.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. As soon as I get the house painted maybe my wife will let me work through this trim issue.