500 EFI and black oil >

500 EFI and black oil

Notices

500 EFI and black oil

Old 05-18-2002, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 EFI and black oil

I have a 2001 29' Fountain with a 500EFI. Total Engine hours are 36.
I have changed the oil for the 4th time, SAE 40, sucking it out of the dipstick. The oil filter I've just changed to in a Fram HP4 racing filter ( whatever that means). Previous filters were original quicksilver followed by two penzoil HP4's.

After just 10-15 hours the oil is jet black. Oil pressure runs 40 at idle and at least 70 above half throttle. No smoke is noted out the exhaust except for an occasional bit of white smoke noted at idle (which I assume is water vapor)

Is this normal for this engine? How much would it help to drain the last ?pint of oil from the pan? If it would help, what the best way to get at the nut on the oil pan? Is there something else likely wrong?

Dr. Fred
Old 05-19-2002, 08:02 AM
DOCTOR DAVE

what's your oil temp, when your running the boat at wot?

Old 05-20-2002, 12:51 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Dr. Fred,

Actually that's pretty normal. When you drain the oil there is still app. 1 quart remaining in the oil cooler so it's never quite pure.

Also, the 500 efi runs pretty rich in the idle to mid range area, rich meaning more fuel then the engine can burn. The excess fuel tends to bypass the piston rings and dilute/pollute your oil. Within 10 hours it will be pretty black and at 20 it looks old diesel oil.

I've been running HP 500's and 500 EFI's since their introduction, and have encountered what you have since the get go. My current configuration is triple 500 efi's with Whipple Super Chargers. Since the addition of the Whipples last summer, my oil clarity has been pretty good. Still changing the oil at 20 hours, but it's probably 75% more clear then when they were stock efi's. The Whipple runs leaner at idle to mid range and just about right on the mark at higher rpms.

To be safe, you might want to do as Troutly recommended. I believe you will find some fuel dilution. Probably nothing to be concerned about, but it might ease your fears. When I pulled my engines down for freshening, they had app. 300 hours and the bearings looked fine.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 05-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

Will, 27Fountain, got to the drain plug on his HP500EFI, and installed the Merc Drain plug kit. I did it on my 500EFI in my Sonic, and it is well worth it. I highly recommend this kit!

Also, check out this link on Oil Filters:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Do yourself a favor, and ditch the Frams. Go to the Wix Racing, K& N, or Mobil1 Filter.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Registered

Default Thanks, black oil

I appreciate all the input. Since the boats performance is pretty much what the test report was by Reggie, my hope was that it was an inherent attribute to the motor although one always wonders what may have happened to the boat before I took delivery on it. You're responses were consistent and reassuring that this is most likely normal.

If the boat wasn't running well, I would send the oil off for analysis.

Its funny that "diesel oil" was mentioned as it looks just like the oil that would come out of the old 240D after 4000 miles.

I felt like an idiot asking how to drain the oil pan and appreciated not getting flamed. I guess from the responses its not worth the physical therapy that would be required in attempting to get the drain plug out.

With regard to the oil filters, Fram filters happened to be at Boat US the day I needed filters. Any data, flow rates, filtration efficiency to suggest that one oil filter is really better than another? (Don't really need an answer) As black as my oil gets, I'm thinking the oil filter doesn't matter much as I change oil every 10-15 hrs anyway.

Thanks again

Dr. Fred