What is this? >

What is this?

Notices

What is this?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is this?

As I was cleaning the engine compartment to paint in a few days I found this in the engine compartment? The wires are cut off as you can see on one of the pics and it has one red positive wire going to the front of the boat. It was at the bottom of the engine compartment not connected to anything. Does anyone have any idea what this is? The motor it had was carburated. It's definitely not the engine harness. All the other wires it has are all cut off except one positive red one going to the front of the boat. I am cleaning up the rigging inside the boat and was baffled to find this in the engine compartment. I have no clue what it could be as all the wires were cut so I'm assuming it never worked. Maybe for a gps system the boat had before me? Thanks and any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the relays, and the size of the wirtes, I'd guess it was a controller for an electric motor. Hatch lift, etc.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered

The hatch worked perfectly even though this was all disconnected and at the bottom of the bilge. Maybe from something the previous owner had these wires were used. I didn't know what this was so I figured maybe someone else had seen this before.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver

As I was cleaning the engine compartment to paint in a few days I found this in the engine compartment? The wires are cut off as you can see on one of the pics and it has one red positive wire going to the front of the boat. It was at the bottom of the engine compartment not connected to anything. Does anyone have any idea what this is? The motor it had was carburated. It's definitely not the engine harness. All the other wires it has are all cut off except one positive red one going to the front of the boat. I am cleaning up the rigging inside the boat and was baffled to find this in the engine compartment. I have no clue what it could be as all the wires were cut so I'm assuming it never worked. Maybe for a gps system the boat had before me? Thanks and any help would be appreciated.
It might be time for a new harness and a rewire as the electrical is looking kinda rough. Aren't you building a new engine for your boat? A new electrical system would assure you of trouble free boating. Rigging and good practices in all aspects of a boat are critical in this sport. Good luck figuring out that relay!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Eliminordic your correct in what your saying, however this really wasn't part of the electrical system on the boat as it was laying on the bottom of the bilge, it's not the engine harness the engine harness is with the motor builder. It looks like something that was used previously for something else and I was curious to find out what it is for. It wasn't hooked up to anything on the boat as you see from the picture all of the wires were cut off. I'm wondering why whoever used it last didn't just take it out of the boat instead of leaving it at the bottom of the bilge. Oh well I guess, it does look like some kind of controller for an electric motor, maybe the boat had switchable quiet exhaust is my guess and this was used for that?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoever added it, did a good job using all heatshrink terminals and wrap.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Almost looks like the reset breaker for the starter rigged up in some sort of fashion
Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
It might be time for a new harness and a rewire as the electrical is looking kinda rough. Aren't you building a new engine for your boat? A new electrical system would assure you of trouble free boating. Rigging and good practices in all aspects of a boat are critical in this sport. Good luck figuring out that relay!
where do you see any of his wirring or his engine harness? Looking kind of rough?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered

It looks like the wiring/relays for a Corsa exhaust diverter.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Old Navy
It looks like the wiring/relays for a Corsa exhaust diverter.
ditto. Silent Choice relays

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.