Life expectancy of these motors

Notices

Life expectancy of these motors

Old 05-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life expectancy of these motors

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/1/1686301.htm

pair 1992 300 Evinsrude "limited edition" 240 hours.

I'm asking for the average expectancy with normal wear and tear. I know that maitinance and how they where used can greatly change the expected life. I'm just wondering if they have any life left in them or if they will need to be rebuilt real soon. I figure I'd put on 30 maybe 40 hours a year on. Thanks for the help.

Brian
Old 05-21-2002, 11:32 AM
22Velocity

Cool

Brian, you may want to give a call to Gordon Montague of Monty's Marine, I believe they are in Stuart,Fla. Monty has the reputation of being "the Guru" of OMC V8's. Several of my friends that have used him swear He's the best. Hope this helps,Frank

Old 05-21-2002, 01:21 PM
Registered

22 velocity,

Thanks I'm starting to do a little shopping around. My better half is hounding me big time to buy a new boat. Velocity is at the top of both our lists. I came across this one and thought is was a rally good price. But I know just about nothing whne it comes to O/B's. I'll look this guy up if I don't get any answers here. Thanks.

Also can I ask how you like the 22 velocity? I haven't been able so see one in person. We looked at the 260 and 280 in Chicago and Miami. But neither show had a 220.

Brian
Old 05-21-2002, 02:27 PM
22Velocity

Cool

Brian, I love this 22 Velocity, It is an 1985 Steve Stepp model .I bought it from the original owner when it was 1 year old. It originally had a 3.4 litre 300 hp Merc outboard. About five years ago I picked up a rare 350 Hp,3.4 powerhead,Mercury only made about 10 of these EFI units.When it ran it was great,with a 16amp small alternator ,it wouldn't last but a few hours before pulling the battery down. 3 years ago I bought a new Pro Max 300. This motor has been a dream. I currently can get 83 mph,running a light load of fuel,and the 27"new style Trophy Plus fairly high on the jackplate. If I was buying a new Velocity ,It would be the new Vr1 28 ft.I saw that boat at the Chicago show and thought it looked great. Frank

Old 05-21-2002, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be Careful

Im not sure if its the same boat but there was and identical boat , same motors , colors , trailer etc.. for sale up here in N.H. I think it was originaly from fl. somewhere .. I looked at it and it was BEAT!!! Youll be able to tell right away , every screw was either loose or had already stripped out .. The V8's ive heard are a little finicky to tune but are very tough ..
Old 05-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Registered

22V
What happens when you get in a couple feet of chop? Does it handle okay or is it pretty rough?

P1,
Thanks, judging from the pictures I'd say this boat is not in mint condition. It does look a little worn. But for the money thats acceptable. I'll save 10 grand and put in some elbo grease any day. I'm just leary about O/B considering I'd always have to pay someone to fix them. Thats just no fun.

Brian
Old 05-22-2002, 01:31 PM
22Velocity

Brian, We run the best in about 1 'of chop,and when its all coming in the same direction. The 22'Velocity has a long pad under it,I think it covers about 17'of the bottom.This long pad makes this boat handle as though it were a lot longer boat. In the Feb. 1985 issue of Powerboat Magazine,the late Bob Nordskog,tested the 22 with a 200 Hp mercury outboard,He made the comment that the 22 Velocity was the best handling 22 footer that he had driven. For inland waters and bays this model is great, If you are going to run offshore where there are 2 to 3 footers and more,then a 28'or larger is the way to go. Frank

Old 05-23-2002, 12:55 PM
Sailor

Brian,
I run a 1990 300 on my 24' Superboat. I have about 600 hrs on it and still going very very strong. If you can handle the fuel consumption and the weight of the engines then I would highly recommend the V8s. They produce a great bit of torque so if you are airing it out all the time you might have to budget in a gearcase or two. As for the Velocity's, get yourself out for a test ride on all 3 models (22, 260, 280). They absolutly corner as on rails and the snottier the water, the better the performance!

Old 05-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Sailor

Brian,
I run a 1990 300 on my 24' Superboat. I have about 600 hrs on it and still going very very strong. If you can handle the fuel consumption and the weight of the engines then I would highly recommend the V8s. They produce a great bit of torque so if you are airing it out all the time you might have to budget in a gearcase or two. As for the Velocity's, get yourself out for a test ride on all 3 models (22, 260, 280). They absolutly corner as on rails and the snottier the water, the better the performance!

Old 05-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Registered

Sailor,
Thanks, thats a butt load of hours. As far as Velocity, there aren't any dealers close by. I looked at them in Chicago and Miami and loved them. Just gotta get one in the water.

22V
No offshore here. Just the Upper Mississippi. 1-2 footers are the biggest if gets on most occations. Some time the lake on the river can get stir up to 3-4 or bigger but I usally don't try to be stuck in that kind of water. Other wise its can be pretty calm with alot of big wakes off cruisers. Hows the cuddy room. I just need room for two to sleep.

Brian