Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need Help With Prop Selection >

Need Help With Prop Selection

Notices

Need Help With Prop Selection

Old 05-22-2002, 03:07 PM
26 CHECKMATE

Default Need Help With Prop Selection

This is my first post on offshore only so bear with me if I miss some info. I am in the process of repowering my boat I have a 26 checkmate persuader that came stock with a 7.4l motor which I modified. I started with the block which was a 4 bolt main I bored it sixty over and put a stoker crank in it which made it 496 cu in. I then put Keither Black pistons it. I used the factory heads just did a valve job and machined them, I put in a ultradine cam and a 850 cfm holley carberator. I am also running a Wieand 174 blower with a 5 pound pulley. As far as exhaust I am putting on a new set of stainless marine. I havnt dynoed the motor but I believe it is going to be making some where around 550 to 600 hp. With this set up I wanted to get everyone opinion on what kind of prop I should be using both make and pitch. I prefer 4 blade over a three blade. I also wanted every ones opinion on whether the drive will hold with all of this new power I have a Bravo 1 drive. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-22-2002, 03:19 PM
red racer

There have been alot of posts throughout the forum. You can
search "props" or "prop selection", etc.. I looked at it a few
months ago and found pages of information.

Old 05-22-2002, 04:17 PM
26 CHECKMATE

I did look at the othe posts on the board I just wanted to get some advice more specific to my set up.

Old 05-23-2002, 03:30 AM
red racer

Understandable...

I have tried the Bravo 1 (4 blade) and the Mirage Plus. Both
good props, the Bravo gives me a better pull out of the hole
for the skiers in my family. Although, the Mirage gives me the
speed.

I went the other way when building my motor...

Started with the 7.4 block and added a Crane roller valve
train, Edelbrock heads (Iconel valves), and a procharger
blower. As you can see, I strengthened the topend first,
while the bottom end will come next season or until I blow
it up...

I have been working with Teague Custom Marine to make the
prop work. I will be buying the new one again from them. This
way, he will exchange it until I get the pitch right. It is good to
have him 20mins from the local lake...

Good luck...

Old 05-23-2002, 11:25 AM
26 CHECKMATE

did the same thing you did and about five hours into it my lower end grenaded. I thought it would hold for at least a season but it didnt. How many hours have you put on yours since the upgrade. Dont worry some people do it and there lower end lives some peoples dont. The cast parts in those boats are stronger than some people think. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most Checkmate hulls run better with the Hydromotive props. I would begin with a 25 or 26 pitch Quad-IV. And go from there. You can usually find good deals on slightly used props from this board.

As far buying from here, pretty much all of us are honest people. I have never had any trouble with the quality of used parts. Besides If one of us gets screwed by some A-hole on this board, it gerts posted so everyone knows!

Eric
Old 05-23-2002, 03:20 PM
26 CHECKMATE

Thanks Eric! I did look through some of the used stuff on the board and I figured I would take a chance and buy one. Everyone on the board seems very helpful. What kind of hp are you running? What do you think about my drive, wil it hold?

Old 05-23-2002, 03:58 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

26check;
How old is the drive? Are there many hours of beating on it? A bravo drive can live comfortably with the horsepower numbers you posted, providing that the driver respects his equipment. By respect I mean easy coming out of the hole, very easy when launching and re-entry. There are alot of guys ( me not being one of them) running more power through a Bravo.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:27 PM
26 CHECKMATE

The drive is a 1995. I have changed the drive oil twice a year with Mercury high preformance gear oil. I have never seen any metal on the drain plug when I have changed it so I am figuring it is in good shape. I just order a Halo drive shower for it also, just for added protection. There was a survey done on the board on people that were running big hp through bravos and the general consencus was you have keep your motor turning under 5200 rpm's you have to run a drive shower and be careful when getting started and settling back in. What kind of hp are you running and what kind of prop are you turning?

Old 05-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

I think your Bravo will be fine. Like these guys say, be nice to it, especially getting on plane. I have an HP500 carb. Last year it was stock, now it's refreshed and has around 560hp, I think. Some of my horses must still be in the barn. I'll spend this weekend trying to wake them up. (refer to other post for long version)

My Bravo is an 89 and seems to be holding up fine. I am nice to it. The Simrek drive shower will also help.

Eric

Quick Reply: Need Help With Prop Selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.