Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo drive shift problem -HELP!!!!!! >

Bravo drive shift problem -HELP!!!!!!

Notices

Bravo drive shift problem -HELP!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 744 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Bravo drive shift problem -HELP!!!!!!

Boat is a 32' Fountain w/454's.

Had the starboard engine removed to replace th edrive coupler at seasons end last October. This spring I found the repair shop did not connect one exhuast boot and had huge water/exhaust leak into engine compartment. Also they didn't refill power steering reservoir.
I had removed the lower unit proir to taking the boat to the shop for the coupler replacement. I installed the lower uniy and I've done this previously and think I did everything correctly.

The drive does not shift properly. Doesn't go into reverse. I pulled the drive slightly off to check the engagement between the cable and connecting link and that seems fine. I removed the upper housing rear cover and can shift forward to reverse by using pliers and rotating the cam. The cale isn't broken and the linkage seems OK at the linkage plate on the engine. I'm wondering if they somehow did something to the cable where it enters the drive housing in th eengine compartment ?

Anyone have any suggestions ? Or can anyone suggest a shop in the metro Detroit area ?

I'm reluctant to go back to the shop that did thework since they botched a few things and questioned the loose exhaust boot when I rreturned to have that fixed.

Last edited by Interceptor; 05-22-2002 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When you say wont go into gear,,, will the shifter not move that way, or does it move and have no effect?
Old 05-22-2002, 09:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do have the engine running while trying to shift dont you?
Old 05-22-2002, 09:54 PM
Registered

the shifter moves full range both directions and goes into forward but not reverse.
Yes, I was doing it with the engine running,

This really has me over the edge.
thanks ,ed
Old 05-22-2002, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check to see if the drive cable has been rubbing on the drive coupling- If it has it may have rubbed a hole in the side of it. When you push on the cable it just pushes out the hole instead of pushing on the drive linkage. When you pull on the cable it works normally.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:34 AM
Registered

Default shift problem

If the engine was removed the cable assemblies were completely disconnected as well. When reinstalling the shift cable to the engine, there are three positions for the shift cable to be positioned into. This occurs at the aft clamp that uses a small U shaped keeper over the Merc adapter that holds the cable inline with the shift plate. If you have the cable attached to the wrong position of the three positions available, your drive will easily shift into one gear but not the other. This very well could be your problem as you don't consider a mechanical failure likely.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

another thing to try is to remove the shift cable, and shift it into reverse, then see if the cable is long enough when the shift lever is in that position.. If the cable is short, your not getting all the way into gear. A balance between forward and Reverse sets the gears up in Neut so there isnt any wear.. It should be in the middle.. you could pull the coil wire and spin the motor over to do the shifting, but be careful of spinning thingies..
The cable going to the drive shouldnt have any play in it. If you can shift it there then the problem is forward towards the helm..

Good luck

Dick
Old 05-24-2002, 07:43 AM
Registered

All,
Thanks for the help. My weekend project begins this evening and I'll report back with results. My biggest fear is having to replace the lower shift cable.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:22 PM
Registered

I had the same problem with my Bravo Drive last year. I just pulled the cable off at the motor end, spun the end a few turns, put it back on and it shifted fine. You may want to just check the adjustment of that cable, it could be that simple...