K-plane indicator cables >

K-plane indicator cables

Notices

K-plane indicator cables

Old 05-26-2002, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-plane indicator cables

I need to replace the indicator cable on one of my K-planes (it broke in two just above the k-plane end fitting ). I've replaced the drive indicator cables before (last year as a matter of fact), which is pretty easy. What I don't know is what kind of seal there is on the K-plane cables, since they exit the transom below the water line. I'd like to know if I need a new seal, o-ring or whatever before I pull it all apart and am down for a week waiting for more pieces.

Also, the stbd cable length is still readable on the housing, but the port (broken one, naturally) is not. I'm guessing that I need an 8 foot longer cable for the port side (it's a 9' 6" beam). Anyone got a better suggestion (don't want to pull the old one till I have the new so it's not down for a week while they are on order). Boat is a 1984 F-402 Formula, so if anyone just "happens" to know what length indicator cable the port K-plane takes ....

Thanks - Greg
Old 05-27-2002, 12:20 AM
Registered

Greg can help with the length but the compression rubber ferrel is the same principal as on copper tubing compression fittings but ours has the taper only on the side that faces the transom.Chances are they might be ok.You could unscrew the retainer cap and look at what shape there are in? But to pull it apart and find they are getting a little dryed or cracking or you had trouble when you pull it off I would think about haveing them there.If you pull the whole cable out through the back of the transom you can fight with the ferrel lator or if you have the new ones just have to soap them up and put them on the new cable. James
Old 05-28-2002, 07:32 AM
Registered

The Donzi K-planes had a simple "nut" which I would think could have contained the compression ferule you describe. My Formula (older) K-planes have a chromed angle fitting (which mounts a cable covering bellows) held on by two screws. It doesn't look like it would/could have that type of compression ferule, but I may have to take one apart to see ?

-Greg
Old 05-28-2002, 07:39 AM
Registered

As for the length, call Formula. They were able to tell me what length they used on my 89.