Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Rotella 15W40 >

Rotella 15W40

Notices

Rotella 15W40

Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an "expert" on oil chemistry, but I do have some very related background and have done a good amount of research in the peer reviewed literature on the subject of zinc dialkyl phosphates and related chemistry and scuff / abraision related wear between iron surfaces. At the levels we're talking about, they do make a iszable difference. That's not opinion, it's a fact based on a body of research that has been validated under controlled conditions. Change the conditions and sure, the correlation goes down a bit, but still it's a pretty safe bet.

Based on my intrepretation of what I've read, the ca. 1200 ish ppm level seems to be the point where increases in benefit level off so something above that but not absurd would seem prudent to add to oils that do not contain it due to regulatory issues targeted at protecting catalytic converters in street vehicles.

I AGREE that it is not smart to add any oil additive without very careful consideration - many of them do contain surfactants / detergents / solvents, etc... that coiuld interact in a (possibly VERY) negative way with the components of commercial oil formulations. Many of them are snake oil... Many times the higher molecular weight polymers that are added can increase foaming potential, add gasoline contamination and it can become a real problem in a hurry. in an older engine or one that is full of carbon from poor running conditions, suddenly dramatically increasing the detergency of the oil freeing upo large amounts of particulate can indeed clog oil passages, lead to spun bearings, etc...

On the other hand, to think that products like Lucas break in additive or comp cams oil additive will create a foaming issue when they have been formulated for dyno use, etc... borders on absurd.

btw. most foaming problems stem from breakdown products, pH imbalance, and contaminants such as those leached from silicone (rtv!) and other gasket sealers, etc... OH, and moisture combined with pH... not good.

How much ZDDP do you get by adding say a bottle of lucas break in additive to a 7 quart oil change? about 3500 ppm. I go with half that in either rotella t 15-40 or mobile one 15-50 depending on the engine. and run mobile one 5-30 in my car with no additives. Of course, there are a lot of other good options and almost any oil that you check and change regularly is better than the very best that you don't maintain.

sorry for the book. as I said, not an expert by any means, but I'm comfortable with what i do. I've no axe to grind here, just trying to impress a bunch of people I;ve never met and probably never will cause i got nothing better to do then sit at home, watch TV and wish I had a life... ;-)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Anybody know the concentration of zddp in the original General Motors EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) prior to current product with reduced zddp?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waybomb
Anybody know the concentration of zddp in the original General Motors EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) prior to current product with reduced zddp?
I want to say 6000 ppm...