Notices

need help

Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
i guess it could be timing but you said that you already had the heads off and that should have been checked when it was put back together..

35 psi is ok but it calls for 37 psi..have you checked the mechanical pump as well? 3-7 psi @ 2000 rpm's..even tho you have 35 psi of fuel pressure you may not be getting enough fuel to the cool fuel pump..did you check pressure idleing or out on the water..

a bad injector will act like a fuel pressure problem also..
nope timming checked out so its not that, there is no mechanical pump on a gen6 just the cool fuel, And when i replaced ther fuel pump last year i put to new injectorin to ...yeah i know alot of money in parts not to fix the prob. thats why im so irritated over the hole thing.

Last edited by ridefast77; 04-26-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat1
It may have lost an exhaust lobe on the camshaft. Those symptoms lead me there. Hope I'm not right.

Dont worry, your not right!!!

you said the ignition timing was set correctly, have you checked the cam timing? what do the plugs look like?
Honestly, sounds like a huge vacuum leak to me. need a scanner so you can see what the map is actually saying and see fuel trims as well
Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NOPUN

you said the ignition timing was set correctly, have you checked the cam timing? what do the plugs look like?
Honestly, sounds like a huge vacuum leak to me. need a scanner so you can see what the map is actually saying and see fuel trims as well
yeah i know im looking for someone around here that has a good one. I tried one computer scan tool it said map voltage high and temp volt hight when cold, clear the code and it pops right back. code 22 and 14, secret 412 witch is the grownd for the map and the temp sensors that are on the same grownd secret.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by ridefast77
nope timming checked out so its not that, there is no mechanical pump on a gen6 just the cool fuel, And when i replaced ther fuel pump last year i put to new injectorin to ...yeah i know alot of money in parts not to fix the prob. thats why im so irritated over the hole thing.
so your saying theirs no fuel pump on your sea pump???? looking at a 97 formula as we speak and theirs one on each mpi engine's sea pump.. the electric pump in the cool fuel cant suck the fuel from the tank to the resivour..their should either be a mechanical fuel pump or a inline electric pump to feed the cool fuel pump..
Old 04-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
so your saying theirs no fuel pump on your sea pump???? looking at a 97 formula as we speak and theirs one on each mpi engine's sea pump.. the electric pump in the cool fuel cant suck the fuel from the tank to the resivour..their should either be a mechanical fuel pump or a inline electric pump to feed the cool fuel pump..
nope no pump on the sea pump just the cool fuel ...on 97-00 gen6 there is no pump on the sea pump...are you looking at a 454mpi OR a 454 mag mpi there is a big diff. the mag mite have the fuel pump on the sea pump.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

My 98 7.4 MPI (L29) only had cool fuel pump as well. That is normal.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NOPUN

Good to know. Have you ever heard an engine with flat cam lobes? Just curious.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by ridefast77
nope no pump on the sea pump just the cool fuel ...on 97-00 gen6 there is no pump on the sea pump...are you looking at a 454mpi OR a 454 mag mpi there is a big diff. the mag mite have the fuel pump on the sea pump.
1997 formula 312 gen VI 330 hp mpi,, and their are fuel pumps on thease engines..

just like it shows in the pic under fuel pump..

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec..._nbr=809994965

Last edited by FIXX; 04-26-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boat1
Good to know. Have you ever heard an engine with flat cam lobes? Just curious.
I have and it does sound like he described. The loudness would be because an exhaust valve isn't opening, then when the intake valve opens the compressed combustion charge gets puked back into the intake plenum. But I believe this vintage merc engine would be roller cam which is far less likely to have wiped a lobe.

Anyway, some basic mechanical diagnostics like comp test, leak test and cut open the oil filter to look for metal would be my next move.

BT
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered

Did you put it in base mode to time it. Could be the time chain jumped a tooth, you can check with a valve cover off. It could be ignition module, coil, vacuum leak, FUEL PRESSURE LOW/ lean condition, bad ground. I'm with Blue Thunder and some basic diagnostics are needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.