Tapping/ticking noise

Notices

Tapping/ticking noise

Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I had a mystery ticking in Valve train.Cost me an engine rebuild. Mercury had defective valve springs early 500 H.P. The inner spring broke and sounded like a sticky lifter. Finally dropped a valve . $6,000 dollars later. Good Luck.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
Well, we pulled the motor, unbolted the bellhousing and....all the bolts were tight! We did notice that the motor mounts were loose and that one of the spring washers was sitting in the bilge...
Upon reinstalling the motor (and properly aligning the drive) the tapping noise seems to have disappeared. I havent taken the boat out and run it yet (thats happens tomorrow) so we will see how she does after a full shakedown run.
I'm glad the noise is gone,(maybe) but doesn't it suck after all that there is no definitive answer as to what the problem was? I swear, boats and women.

Last edited by In The Pink; 06-26-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by In The Pink
I'm glad the noise is gone,(maybe) but doesn't it suck after all that there is on definitive answer as to what the problem was? I swear, boats and women.
There is a saying 'if it has tits or tires it's going to give you problems'....that needs to be expanded to tits, tires or props!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Need4SpeedGTCS
There is a saying 'if it has tits or tires it's going to give you problems'....that needs to be expanded to tits, tires or props!
Tits, tires & tabs!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took her out today and she ran flawlessly!! Thank god!!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered

Correction...she is running flawlessly BUT the tapping noise is still there. I am down slightly on power from last summer (4900 rpm vs 5100 rpm at wot) and hitting 60 mph vs 63 but otherwise it sounds and runs awesome.
I am scratching my head as to what to do at this point. Do I continue to run her? No one can seem to figure out what this tapping noise is...
Old 07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered

Did you ever find out why the distributor had the damage?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered

No, according to Eastside Offshore (my shop) they said the tapping noise is clearly not coming from the distributor. I never found out why the rotor was damaged.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 126 Posts

you need to find a qualified repair shop...
its hard for anybody to tell you whats wrong with your engine without inspecting it..

Find a repair shop that knows what they are doing...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
you need to find a qualified repair shop...
its hard for anybody to tell you whats wrong with your engine without inspecting it..

Find a repair shop that knows what they are doing...
The boat spent 2 weeks at Eastside Offshore with the owner, 2 mechanics, their engine builder and even had the factory mercruiser rep look at it. They are the performance boat experts in the Seattle area.
I also brought the boat down to a friends house and he had a good friend of his look at it who owns his own boat shop and is a 25 year certified mercruiser mechanic. Everyone said the tapping noise was coming from the bellhousing which is why we pulled the motor and the bellhousing only to find nothing wrong.

So this is not a situation where I havent had the boat to the shop.

Last edited by Powerquest_Baby!!; 07-05-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.