Whipple vs. Procharger >

Whipple vs. Procharger

Notices

Whipple vs. Procharger

Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

You can always plug an after market ECU into your system. The new Fast 2.0 has a self tuning mode, not that hard to set up. We've run them on boats for 14 years now.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
What are you running for heads, cam and fuel system ? can your boat and drive handle 850 hp if you can make it ?
My heads are iron heads that came with the 600 hawk motors. I had them worked on. I assume I will have to change a lot on my engines. I need to get my spec sheet on the details of my motors and post them. Maybe someone with some knowledge can help me get some major HP. After I posted this, I did not realize I could get 1000hp if I wanted. I am going to put Arneson ASD7Ms on the boat. After it is installed, my next step is to update then engine. I may want more than 850hp. I don't know my options.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
GPM
Registered

You might want to contact some engine builders if you haven't already done so.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

I am in the process. My engine builder told me he likes Vortec over Procharger. I don't know why. Also, he stated that the prochager intercoolers use to rust in salt water because it was made of aluminum. Prochager may have changed that by now and he was not sure. He said the Whipple Quad Intercooler is made out of something else and does not rust. No matter if I go with Whipple, Procharger, or Vortec....I have to make sure that it fits under the engine hatch. If anyone has a 502 block bored to something else and is making between 850-1100hp on super unleaded, it would be nice to know the entire setup, assuming it is low profile.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink The End Result?

Obviously there are a lot of good marine performance engine builders who can put this type of package together for you, so its probably going to be more important which one can build or help with the on the dyno and in the boat actual fuel mapping and programming that will be needed to get your final Whipple, Pro Charger, Vortec supercharged engine set up correctly so that it will provide some good lomg hours of reliable trouble free usage and not just big numbers off a dyno or in specs and "dock racing"
A couple who come to mind here on OSO with good history and results in this type of build , Mark @ Precsion Marine, Bob @ Full Throttle, Eddie @ Young, Mark @ Mer, Dustin @ Whipple, Alex @ Boostpower,etc.
My suggestion is to go with someone who can do more than just build the package, but someone who can get it totally dialed in on the water for your hard earned dollars and piece of mind!

Old chinese Proverb say: "IF IT WAS EASY, ANYBODY COULD DO IT!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
I am in the process. My engine builder told me he likes Vortec over Procharger. I don't know why. Also, he stated that the prochager intercoolers use to rust in salt water because it was made of aluminum. Prochager may have changed that by now and he was not sure. He said the Whipple Quad Intercooler is made out of something else and does not rust. No matter if I go with Whipple, Procharger, or Vortec....I have to make sure that it fits under the engine hatch. If anyone has a 502 block bored to something else and is making between 850-1100hp on super unleaded, it would be nice to know the entire setup, assuming it is low profile.
Well...a whipple 3.3 FI setup is pretty damn low and you cant beat it as far as looks/packaging. Will it support 1100hp?? I dont know...but whipple has 4 and 5 liter that most likely will. I personally dont care for bracketry and side mount of a procharger in a boat. I have spoken personally with lightningjet...he could not keep a belt on his setup after many attempts/mods. Not to say he couldnt have gotten it to work but how long do you want to fight it?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I don't think there's any question as to which kit is better. I have said it in other threads as well. The last Whipple kits I got even came with a tube of silicone and an allen wrench.

What seems to have gotten Dustin and some others a little excited was my statement that Prochargers will make more power then a Whipple. I have heard lots of talk about torque curves but have yet to see a well built procharged engine have any difficulty making masive torque. Dustin, when I say prochargers make more power it's in reference to marine engines on pump gas. It's great that you talk about blown alchohol engines running A980's and psi's but that has little in common with pump gas marine engines, might as well compare turbines.

I still stand by my statement.

Dustin, what did your "Eat your hearts out turbos" motors make on pump gas?
I only brought up the big SC's because another person brought up the F4 or whatever. We can make just as much power as the Procharger, this is not opinion, this is fact. Its pretty simple, all our SC's are tested on supercharger testers which measure power consumption, temps, etc. Many others do this as well so when talking of just the SC, there really is no guess, we know what it can and can't do and what others can and can't do.

As I said before, it comes to the package. If you can put a 300lb intercooler in the passenger seat and duct the air, you can run 30psi and keep control of the temps, but we can't put that under the SC so we can't compete in that market. So each has its own market and abilities.

To even remotely compare torque curves is really poor judgement. I know you know the fundamental differences of a positive displacement SC vs. a centrifugal. Its is theoratically impossible for a centrifugal to pump as much air at low rpms unless a wastegate or boost control valve is used and the SC is spun at a much higher rate. Its just not possible. Can they make good torque? Well thats up to the user and what there happy with, in most cases, yes they would make good torque. But, is it close to what a twin screw setup does? Not even remotely close.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
You might be better off turning your 502s into 540s, with good flowing aluminum heads, cam and exhaust, and either one of the superchargers mentioned, you should reach your HP goal. What RPM range do you want to make the most power ? If your engine compartment is tight can you get enough air into it to feed the motors ? Will the hull handle the HP and speed increase or just become extremely dangerous.

Last edited by GPM; 05-19-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

As mentioned most boat's have trouble getting enough air in the engine conpartment to run stock power . I'm running pro chargers on hp 500's with a cam change and headers and making 750 hp at 7 lb. boost . Works great and no problems at all . Building a pair of 598's which I plan on using 5 litre whipples , just waiting for Dustin to put them on sale
Attached Thumbnails Whipple vs. Procharger-100_2304.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am real happy with my 500efi Whipple kits.Good power and lots of TQ even with my semi stock motors,Its a simple kit you can do yourself.With the mefi 4 computer there are known maps for a lot of combinations, My basic map was right on and didnt need any on the water tuneing.I would do it again!!

Rob

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-build-up.html
Attached Thumbnails Whipple vs. Procharger-11-07-3-114-large-.jpg   Whipple vs. Procharger-11-07-3-030.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.