Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone running a low water pressure sender? >

Anyone running a low water pressure sender?

Notices

Anyone running a low water pressure sender?

Old 05-29-2002, 06:46 AM
kook

Question Anyone running a low water pressure sender?

Looking at installing a low water pressure sender and idiot light. Have both raw water pump and circulating pump. Wondering how to go about doing this - looking for advice.

The idea here is to catch a water blockage problem immediately, rather than relying on the water temp gauge, which alters you to the problem well after it has started. I DO have a water pressure GAUGE now installed - even better than just the H2O temp gauge alone, but this idiot (me) needs an idiot light as well............. could not find a Gaffrig "Redline" water pressure gauge (with built-in idiot light).

thanks,

Mark

Old 05-29-2002, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are like me and have through transom exhaust forget the buzzer, hook it to the horn,then you might hear it I have block water temp.raw water pressure,and exhaust water temp.only had one water related problem and the exhaust showed it first and caught it before motor even came up
Old 05-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Great idea.

I installed water pressure guages and low pressure switches on my transom with a hoses to the blocks. The low pressure switches are connected to Gaffrig idiot lights on the dash. It saved me once when I had a water hose come loose. The lights stay on at idle speed, but go out as soon as I get off of idle.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:56 PM
kook

Originally posted by rbtnt
Great idea.

I installed water pressure guages and low pressure switches on my transom with a hoses to the blocks. The low pressure switches are connected to Gaffrig idiot lights on the dash.
Where did you get the low pressure senders, and what are they set for (PSI)? How's it wired - always open circuit unless the water pressure is below the sender's switch point?

-mark

Old 05-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

mark,

My sendors are open unless pressure is below 4 psi. Wired one side to ground and the other side to alarm light, other side of alarm light is wired to +12v.

I think they came from NAPA. Rex Marine has the sendors, they use them for low fuel pressure alarm.

randy
Old 06-02-2002, 10:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

canada jeff,

I put a barb fitting in place of one of the block drains on the side of the block. I did it on both motors, but on different sides and both read about the same.

rbtnt