Few more questions >

Few more questions

Notices

Few more questions

Old 05-29-2002, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few more questions

How many quarts is stock merc oil pan on a 90 454? 330 HP?
thinking about getting new ones for present rebuild.
Also the water pump, is it "Long style" or "short style"
im done looking like a monkey F*cking a football and im just replacing every damn thing on these engines so I can just have a clear head when I get the engines rebuilt.

Thanks
Jason
Old 05-29-2002, 12:03 PM
Registered

What's up dude...

Don't know about the water pump, but any big block i've had took around 6-1/2 quarts to fill. So if the filter holds around 1/2, then the pan is probably 6.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

Hey Man!!!!
have fun this past weekend?
You looked to relaxed out there hahaha

Okay Saturday morning we are all headed to Lansdale to fork lift these things out of here.
Trying to get the new exhaust worked out with some dude in California that has dealer take off's so they are just next to new.
I looked at my water pumps and they are lookin kind of ugly and dont want to have more freakin problems with them so I see water pumps are 89 bones ( I know they are not marine ones but the cost of all this is really hurting me right now so if I can get 2 years out of the water pumps I can change them later)
This is all happening at one time and my wallet is going to suffer but I just want to get her out there already.
You in for Saturday morning?
if not, no biggie but I will need your help to reinstall these in 2-3 weeks with the alignment tool.
Talk to me man!
Thanks
Jason
Old 05-29-2002, 12:29 PM
Registered

Problem was i had TOO much fun this weekend (Sat & Sun). All i could do by Monday when you saw me WAS relax ...i was Hurtin for Certain!!

What time do you plan on starting Sat morning??? I have a stupid company picnic/50th aniversary thing i have to goto on Sat. around noon.

It sounds like you have most of the work done (from reading your other posts). Sounds like you just need to undo the mounts and maybe a started wire and your out.

P.S. Where's Lansdale??...off the turnpike??
Old 05-29-2002, 12:42 PM
Registered

Yeah off of 202 and route 309 and route 63 in montgomeryville area.
Hoping to get there and start around 930 or so
want to get these 2 out and in the truck, tow the whole mess down to the machine shop in Glenside and crane the motors into the guys shop around noon (that is the plan that im trying to stick to)
Im going to get some stuff and soak those motor mount bolts tonight and tomorrow, yank the tie bar and drives off tonight and see if I can crack the motor mount bolts loose and leave them until i get to Lansdale on Saturday so engines dont shift too much while trailering this thing around all over the burbs on Saturday.

This was the only way to get these out, only guy I know with a fork lift or what not.
Wanted to do it this week but doubt im going to be able too.
My friend cant get forklift until Saturday.
A engine hoist is no where even close to tall enough to get up that high to yank em out.
People suggested a tree or somehting
Why do I not feel comfortable suspending a big block by a tree branch?>
that just seems to be too risky and just stupid in my opinion.
got a fork lift at work?
Jason
Old 05-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Registered

water pumps are shorties, if you have to change them put cross overs on them.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:34 AM
Registered

Hey Goob , what do you mean crossovers?
Not just the pipe that goes from side to side?
How do you run the accessories like the alternator and the like with the crossover tubes?
Like the ones from Eddie marine ?
You lost me
Please explain
Jason
Old 05-30-2002, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Jay just some FYI You might want to check if you have to remove the manifolds or not when I went to pull my motor out of my Z22 it would not fit out with the manifolds on it to wide good luck.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:39 AM
Registered

Really Boomer?
Huh that is weird,
I have removed the engine hatch, taking the drives off tonight and from what I can tell the only tricky part is going to be the arch hangs on a backwards tilt but from what I see, we should clear the oil pan over the transom before the fork on the fork lift will hit the arch but this depends on how long the chain is that is connected to the motor, if the chain is too long then the fork might hit the arch, but we were prepared for this and figured if the fork that has the chain on it , if we use the far end and not close to the fork lift itself, (take a 2x4 piece of wood, clamp it to the top of the fork so the chain cant slide back down towards the fork lift itself, we should be good,
I did not think that the exhaust manifolds would be an issue.
Ill double check it when I yank the drives off tonight
Jason
Old 05-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Registered

I used stainless marine exhaust, cross overs and t-stat housings. For the belts I put the cross overs on all the acc's and used measured around the acc's to see how long the belts were. I still think I have spare belts for size, since I kept the exhaust and stuff. On the 280 It makes checking timing and stuff easier because you can see the balancer. If you need more info I can call you if you like. Let me know. Also I didn't take my hatch off ,just tied a rope to the bracket and let it swing back over the platform.
mike

Quick Reply: Few more questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.