Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel tank installation >

Fuel tank installation

Notices

Fuel tank installation

Old 05-29-2002, 12:55 PM
nofreeboard

Unhappy Fuel tank installation

I've checked a lot of previous threads regarding fuel tank problems, but didn't find much in the way of reinstalling a tank. I've got an '83 Magnum and am ready to reinstall one of the fuel tanks. I need some suggestions on what type of foam to use and the installation technique. I dont have much room between the tank and stringers (about 1/2" per side) to spray or pour the foam and I'm afraid I won't get the tank set to the correct height if I foam before setting the tank. Can anyone offer some suggestions? Thanks a lot!!!

Old 05-29-2002, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this for some information
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm
I used to live in Gibraltar. Is Humbug Marina still above water?
Old 05-30-2002, 09:21 AM
nofreeboard

I checked out that website. The tank is already set in a good "cradle" because of the stringers. I'm trying to get a little more info on how the expanding foam works and the best way to use it.

Humbug is still there. They added a huge rack storage building that holds like 300+ boats. I had them press in new gimble bearings for me this spring. Decent place to work with. Actually, the water levels are real good right now. Last year was LOW, but are ideal right now.

Old 05-30-2002, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Installation

Be careful with the expanding foam. A neighbor of mine is rebuilding a 1989 Hydrasport, it is truly a labor of love, he's been working on the boat for 4 years. He just replaced his gas tank. It appears that the foam traps condensation and leads to pitting of the tank. He just installed a brand new 150 gallon tank, the manufacturer told him to insure that is was secure in its cradle but NOT to use the expanding foam.

Common sense would tell you that the tank would be more secure foamed in, but I saw the one he took out, 75% of the wall thickness was gone after 7 years.

Something to think about anyway........

Mike
Old 05-31-2002, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lickitysplit ,Sounds lik ehis tanks were not put in right .

I just did mine last year . 2 -150 galon tanks .
Paint the tanks with a GOOD epoxy paint . Use one with a hrdener out of a gun not a spray can ! Let it dry good .
Scuff sand the tank bottom and all sides .
Clean , sand and paint area to put tanks in .
when dry ,scuff sand that too .
Get a 4x8 sheet of foam insulation maybe 1/2 " thick or more if you like .
Cut 2" wide strips as wide as the tank .
lay 3 strips under tank to keep it up off floor . 1 In the middle and one on each end .
put 1 or 2 around the sides to keep it centered .
If you have attaching brakets , bolt or screw the tank in place now . You don't want the tank to lift as the foam grows !
NOw get your expanding foam ready . It comes in gallon or 5 gallon containers and has an activator to mix with it .
Mix as the directions say and pour it in under the tank so it runs down to the bottom. It will grow and come up near the top if you get it right .If not just wait till it stops growing and add more on top .
I can't remember the stuff I used but I could fine out if you want . If you need more help e-mail me at [email protected] . Good luck ,JOE