Instrument lighting >

Instrument lighting

Notices

Instrument lighting

Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument lighting

Hey everyone, I have a question about instrument panel lighting. Helping a freind with a early 90s Powerquest & the dash switches are illuminated from below (not very well) dash panel insert. The switches appear to be mounted in lexan painted on side facing driver and opaque on backside then at top of each switch the switches are labeled for what they control but some of the labels are worn off. Option 1 is to ignore worn unreadable labels and install led rope lite but you still wont be able to read switch controls. Option 2 is to fabricate new aluminum dash but how can switches be illuminated and labeled? How are your boats switches labeled & illuminated? Anyone have any good ideas how to resolve this? Thankyou
Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 956 Posts

My switches have a red light built into them that shows when they are on, but the actual switches are not illuminated. I would prefer they didn't even have the red lights. None of my boats have ever had illuminated switches. I have a separate switch for my dash guage lights and 90% of the time when running at night, I run with them off. The less light close to you, the better your night vision will be.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

If they are like my '94, the stiches are actually mounted in an aluminum panel. The lighted 'on' indicators are built into the switches (as Griff said). There is screen printed lexan inset into the aluminum panel that labels the switches. See pre-purchase pic below.

You can have an aluminum panel fabricated, painted and labeled, or a new panel fabricated, and buy new switches with labels. My plan is to repaint the panel, keeping the inset lexan, and put on new swtich covers - ie, the lower budget approach.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Registered

apollard, this powerquest is very similar to your picture and the switches are labeled for function and backlit but some of the labels are unreadable. how would one go about fixing this? i can fab an aluminum dash but would need to illuminate and light switch functions somehow. this thing has at least 15 switches running across dash, it seems like it could take awhile to memorize in the dark.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered

Maybe talk to a place that makes signs about re working them, or making new insets? Also, mine are not dim at night, so perhaps you have a bulb issue or the insets have simply gotten so messed up the light is blocked. In fact, I'm looking at dimming mine.

Last edited by apollard; 05-20-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

the issue is being able to read labels for switches that show what each switch controls. they are backlit but the labeling is worn away on several switches.