I've sprung a leak!!!! >

I've sprung a leak!!!!

Notices

I've sprung a leak!!!!

Old 05-31-2002, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've sprung a leak!!!!

The last couple of times out I have gotten alot of water in my bilge and last night I traced down the area where it is coming in the boat. It is coming in from the drive area where the tiller arm goes thru the transom. The boat is seven years old. I have never had the drive off. Could my bellows be the cause?? Also if I pull the drive off should I replace the u-joints? The boat has 400 hrs. on it.

Thanks for any guidance,
Dave

It is a Bravo drive.
The water is coming in up high on the drive.

Last edited by Bigwavz; 05-31-2002 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

If it was the bellows, the water would come in at the bottom of the transom cutout. You didn't say what kind of drive, but I would guess it coming in around the cork gimbal housing/transom gasket, or the upper swivel pin seals.
At the very least, grease the U joints and splines. If the U joints dont slide freely or you feel a "notch" in them, replace them.
My $0.02
Gary
Old 05-31-2002, 10:42 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Read the link from Stevel ,,, I bet you have the same problem I described to him There is a seal for the shaft the tiller arm attaches to. Let me know,,, it looks like you are in Il,, I am in the south subs of Chicago, I can give you a hand as well.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

Hey obnoxus,
I made some calls today and I think you are correct in your diagnosis. I was wondering if you are offering to help make the repair? Have you ever done this before? It sounds a bit complicated to me in talking with some shops. Let me know.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-31-2002, 02:38 PM
Registered

Exclamation obnoxus is correct....

He's more than likely, 100% correct. Unfortunately, the seal is very cheap - pin it seals around, which is most likely shot, is very expensive. Merc is very proud of this hardened steel pin (something like $235)... a lot of labor involved also. Mine ran about $500 total. I thought I would do the job myself until I realized Merc makes some special pullers for this PRESSED pin in cast ALUMINUM housing. Better to let the mech. handle this, that way if they break the cast Al gimble housing, they are responsible and I don't have to replace my screw up
Old 05-31-2002, 02:44 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Yes,,, I have we had the same problem on a buddies boat,,, we had to pull the enigine to find it. Once you do it it's not that hard. But like I said if you can't get to that bolt you have to drill holes in your outer transom plate, or pull the motor. I would give you a hand,, no problem,,, where are you located?
Old 05-31-2002, 04:30 PM
VIP Member

I live in Lk Zurich. At this point I am leaning towards taking it to a shop because I also need to have the u-joints done and also all the bellows and seals. This drive has never been off the boat and since the repair is below the water line I don't want to risk not getting it right the first time. I will let you know and I want to say thanks for your offer to help out---I appreciate that!!!!

Dave
Old 05-31-2002, 06:42 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

hey, no problem,,post the results.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Registered

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST YEAR WITH MY 1993 BRAVO 1.YOU CAN TAKE A GARDEN HOSE AND HAVE SOMEONE SPRAY AROUND THE UPPER PIVOT POINT OF THE TRANSOM PLATE AND WACH FOR LEAKS INSIDE THE BOAT BY THE STEERING ARM.IF IT IS LEAKING HERE YOU WILL MOST LIKLY NEED A NEW PIN AS WELL AS A SEAL.ON MINE THE HOUSING WHERE THE SEAL SITS WAS QUITE CORRODED.I HAD TO USE SOME SEALANT TO HELP HOLD IT IN PLACE.IF THIS IS YOU PROBLEM I WOULD RECOMMEND PULLING THE MOTOR RATHER THAN DRILLING THE TRANSOM PLATE TO GET ACCESS TO THE STEERING ARM BOLT.I DON'T LIKE THE 1'' NPT PLUGS YOU HAVE TO DRILL IN THE TRANSOM PLATE IF YOU DO THE JOB WITHOUT PULLING THE MOTOR.THIS IS ONE OF THOSE JOBS THAT TESTS HOW MUCH YOU LOVE POWERBOATING.