Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Mag w/Whipple Stage II Stock Thermostat Safe?? >

496 Mag w/Whipple Stage II Stock Thermostat Safe??

Notices

496 Mag w/Whipple Stage II Stock Thermostat Safe??

Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Merc does make a 143....had those in my 502's way back when.
The Merc 140 T-Stat does not have the springed splash plate that the 496 T-stat has. I was told by my mechanic, the splash plate keeps the water pressure from forcing the T-stat open by diverting the water around the splash plate which prevent s the water from having a straight shot at the open/close plate of the t-stat...
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
The Merc 140 T-Stat does not have the springed splash plate that the 496 T-stat has. I was told by my mechanic, the splash plate keeps the water pressure from forcing the T-stat open by diverting the water around the splash plate which prevent s the water from having a straight shot at the open/close plate of the t-stat...
In a colder climate, the stock stat works fine. You can drill 3 3/16" holes in the stat to help increase the flow, this will lower temps 5-10 deg vs now.

The 120 stats don't run 120 because of the small exchanger and cast iron heads, as well as limited water flow. They run 130-140 in cold climates and 140-150 in warmer climates. We run this because stage 2 has 5-6deg more spark throughout the spark curve and this helps prevent detonation. It does soot a touch more than 160deg, but its minimal. If your in MI, run stock stat with the holes and you'll be fine.