Best K-Plane Mounting Location? >

Best K-Plane Mounting Location?

Notices

Best K-Plane Mounting Location?

Old 06-01-2002, 02:52 PM
NEVRENUFF

Default Best K-Plane Mounting Location?

Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice on proper mounting location/placement for K-planes. I am getting ready to add a new set to my 1990 Baja 250ES and don't want to drill the holes before getting some input. The K-Planes are 280S's and the boat has a Bravo I out drive w/454 MAG Procharged.

I have looked at other installations and it appears to be the case that they want to be placed so that when they are parallel to the bottom of the hull, they want to be about 3/4 inch above the bottom plane of the hull.

Big question is, how far out from the centerline? Surely they need to clear the outdrive when turned all the way, but does it make sense to keep them just far enough out so they don't interere? Should they be placed all the way to the outside?

I'd really appreciare your advice, I've never mounted a set before.

thanks

Old 06-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be lot's of opinions on this before you drill your first hole, I'll bet. MY opinion (and it could be wrong for your application) is to use the specs. that come with the K's from Merc. for height from plaining surface. Remeber, these are not intended to be a hull extention. They will be most effective for average crusing placed to the outer section of the hull. There is some thought that placed as close to the drive as possible will give more benefit at WOT. Decide whether you're into competition or weekend enjoyment. --- Jer
Old 06-02-2002, 08:57 AM
NEVRENUFF

Thanks Jer,

Unfortunately, I never got instructions with the K-Planes. I bought them new but there were no installation instructions. When I figured out that Mercury doesn't supply switches, hyd lines etc., I assumed that they didn't supply instructions either. Do they have a template or something? I'll call the factory.

In general, I'm looking for benefits on the performance side. It certainly makes sense that farther out is more effective at lower speeds. I'm thinking that they will be useful to keep the boat from porpoising (sp?) at higher speeds, but unless I know how high the boat rides (out of the water) I was thinking that it would be better to keep them closer to the OD so they don't have to be at too bad a "drag" angle to keep the bow steady.

Since I just rifled through the box again looking for instructions, I was reminded how large these things are. My boat doesn't have the widest beam; maybe there isn't much extra room once I provide clearance for the OD. That might make it acedemic!

I'll go scope it out this morning. Thanks for your input!

PAB

Old 06-02-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Don't know enough but watch for where your stringers are when makeing your guess!
Attached Thumbnails Best K-Plane Mounting Location?-my-rear-one.jpg  
Old 06-02-2002, 12:10 PM
GeoGraphics INC

Default k plane mounting

Merc spec's for mounting is 3/4" from the bottom

Old 06-02-2002, 01:10 PM
Registered

The Merc. pt.# for the trim plate hole mounting template sheet is 90-843570. Merc. recomends mounting with the bottom of the plate 3/4" above the boat bottom. My kit came with everything except switches. Hope you make out O.K. --- Jer