Whipple motor won't start >

Whipple motor won't start

Notices

Whipple motor won't start

Old 06-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whipple motor won't start

I just got through installing whipple's on my 500EFI motors. I got one engine running & adjusted the timing. I started & stopped the engine numerous times in this process. I went to restart it to set the final running fuel pressure and it won't start. It has spark & there is fuel in the fuel rail & the fuel pressure gage shows 50PSI. I checked one injector for voltage and it is OK. The engine will fire with starting fluid. The other engine will not start at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Also what is the trick to getting the distributor cap off with the blower on & do you continue to use the stock Fuel / Water Seperator in the fuel system ?
Old 06-02-2002, 07:30 PM
Registered

Here is a link to a post about the same problem. Hope this helps.
Dan

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...&threadid=7483
Old 06-03-2002, 01:04 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Fountain10,

I'll try to help you. We added Whipples to my boat last summer. She's a 43' Black Thunder with triple 500 EFI's and the current Whipple model.

#1. Not starting. Could be a couple of things:
*Starter motor main cable is not tight
*fault sensed in the ECU. Borrow a scantool to check for codes
*TPI sensor malfunctioning or not set correctly. This is the throttle position indicator and if not set correctly you'll get no fuel for fire up.
*Check all electrical connections, one may have been knocked off. A usuall candidate is the sender from the Idle Air Control. you'll find that on the left side of the blower when looking from the front of the engine rearwards.
*double check that both plugs going into the ECU are snapped in place.
*if none of the above cures it, remove the flame arrestors and see if the butterfly is open and listen for the fuel pump to hear if it's running. Have bucket available (and a fire extinguisher) and remove the main fuel supply to the blower (attaches to the left side of the injector body when looking from the front of the engine) and check for fuel flow.

#2. I did away with the water/fuel separator as the pumps that come with your new set up have a pretty trick filter ahead of the pumps (I'm assuming you have the red airmotive pumps? You could still run the fuel/water separators, but the pumps are not built to pull thru that element.

#3. To remove your distributor cap you have to remove the flame arrestors (They simply slide to one side and pull out. Then remove the 6 small allen head screws that takes the anodized aluminum arrestor retainer plate off. You'll then have access to 4 larger allen head bolts (app. 5/16) that remove the airhorn. At that point you have clear access to the cap.

Hope this helps. Try to reach Dustin, Art or Scott at Whipple if you're still having troble.

Steve
Old 06-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Found the problem - the fuel pressure gage was reading wrong and there was 80 pounds of fuel pressure in the system. I lowerd the pressure to 50PSI and it fired right up. Thanks for the help.