Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

That fuel line is for a car...

This will work for your boat

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/641090/10002/-1
Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leaking issues

Well well I thought I was the only one who spends the best holiday weekends working on there boat and having any fun on it!!.... lol
I also had a fuel leak with steel lines and tried a few types of lines one just like the one you have pictured the other was when I went to the auto parts store bought some high grade line and made my own only to have the places that I flared crack and break! I talked with a few HP boat shops and they ALL told me to run steel braided lines ! I checked with the USCG and they said yes they are good. I found out all the USCG line is for is to buy you more time to either get the fire out or get off the boat ! Thats it and any line with braided covering is going to buy you more time! I bought a line kit from summit and all of the fittings needed to make the line from the tank to the carb steel braided. Have been checked out by the law and passed...... and no more fuel leaks.. :-)
Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i found one of those copper crush washers for a flare fitting at lowes today, fixed that leak immediately. now the 3/8 pipe threads going in and out of my fuel pressure regulator have a small leak... man one thing after another!!

So whats the best sealer to use on pipe threads in a fuel system?? i know my OEM stuff had some red sealer on it but no idea what it was???
Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

I use nothing but braided line for everything with AN fittings. A little more costly but in the long run works the best. i wouldn't use a ridgid line at all. There's alot of vibration and eventually it will crack, especially on a fuel line after the pump. Big problem real fast!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

He asks for advice....but doesnt wanna listen.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

I never heard of a crush washer for a flare fitting. i don't really do my boat engine shopping at lowes. or my auto shopping either for that matter. The flare makes the seal, usually. i don't know, maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years? It's gonna leak, mark my words, it's only a matter of time. Just hope it doesn't blow up when it does, but they always have to have that pretty chrome line. JUNK!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
well i found one of those copper crush washers for a flare fitting at lowes today, fixed that leak immediately. now the 3/8 pipe threads going in and out of my fuel pressure regulator have a small leak... man one thing after another!!

So whats the best sealer to use on pipe threads in a fuel system?? i know my OEM stuff had some red sealer on it but no idea what it was???
NONE

No pipe sealer

Last edited by 35fountain; 07-04-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered

I don't make it a habit of buying my marine parts at auto parts stores either.

After checking with a few boat performance shops they all said NOT to hard plumb the fuel system even though the manufacture does !
I was told that with all of the vibrations the engine has even more so when you mod one with a bigger cam & headers different RPM range that your asking for trouble if you hard plumb !
I noticed that Jeggs & summit have some marine parts listed so I gave them a call. Summit set me right up with all of the lines & fittings needed to use 1/2" steel braided lines from the tank to the carb and have been trouble free for 3 yrs now.......
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 35fountain

NONE

No pipe sealer

Scuse me??????????? NPT threads are supposed to be sealed with either tape ( not for fuel systems ) or thread sealer. If you crank a brass fitting into an aluminum housing with NPT threads tight enough not to leak under pressure, the aluminum threads are now permantly phucked.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

The tape only acts as a lubricant. The wedge action of the tapered threads is what does the sealing.