Notices

Mufflers

Old 07-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers

Hi gents,

Alright...I may get flamed but I have to ask anyway:

My brother just bought a 26 Baja (Outlaw i think) and we're getting hassled for not having any mufflers on the boat. He doesn't want to go through the trouble of installing silent choice this year and the cost of gibsons, borla's or corsa's is a little steep for him at the moment.

It's a through hull only set-up at the moment. The idea I have is to install a full stainless automotive muffler (casing and packing) between the exhaust manifold and the transom with rubber couplings. Something like a magnaflow 12770. Borla uses their XR1 series in a similar fashion.

Will it work? I know it may hold a little water in the packing, but can it do any damage? What's the best/worst case scenario? Has anyone tried it? Will it quiet it down enough?

That's all...thanks guys.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drew marine shot gun mufflers work and dont rob power
Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of the Gil muffler tips on mine. You should be able to find a set of these used for a couple hundred. They knock the edge off the sound nicely.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some NIB Drew Shotguns.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by eccentric_iguana
Hi gents,

Alright...I may get flamed but I have to ask anyway:

My brother just bought a 26 Baja (Outlaw i think) and we're getting hassled for not having any mufflers on the boat. He doesn't want to go through the trouble of installing silent choice this year and the cost of gibsons, borla's or corsa's is a little steep for him at the moment.

It's a through hull only set-up at the moment. The idea I have is to install a full stainless automotive muffler (casing and packing) between the exhaust manifold and the transom with rubber couplings. Something like a magnaflow 12770. Borla uses their XR1 series in a similar fashion.

Will it work? I know it may hold a little water in the packing, but can it do any damage? What's the best/worst case scenario? Has anyone tried it? Will it quiet it down enough?

That's all...thanks guys.
I installed Zoomers thru hull mufflers on my blown application. Really saw no loss in speed or rpm and it keeps the db police away. good luck.....