4 cylinders on one bank fowling out >

4 cylinders on one bank fowling out

Notices

4 cylinders on one bank fowling out

Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 cylinders on one bank fowling out

I put a whipple side mount on my 99 454 mag and cant get it to run right... all four plugs on the drivers side of the engine are fuel fowled while the port side is burning perfect. Has anyone come across this before... cap and rotor? whole distributor? coil? Please help.. thanks.. Winkman!!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by winkman
I put a whipple side mount on my 99 454 mag and cant get it to run right... all four plugs on the drivers side of the engine are fuel fowled while the port side is burning perfect. Has anyone come across this before... cap and rotor? whole distributor? coil? Please help.. thanks.. Winkman!!
its unusual to find chickens stuffed into only four cylinders of a big block. traditionally they prefer to nest in two per side. you might try covering the exhaust and intakes when they leave to keep them getting back in.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Registered

back in the real world... so what do you think is happening ? do you think you are dumping way too much fuel on that side which would mean that the injectors on that side only are pulsing longer for some reason ? or do you believe that the ignition on that side is bad ? ( huh ) ?

this situation begs the question , did it run ok before you did the work ? if so, then this turns out to be something you did wrong. just go back, step by step and touch everything you touched and find the wire you forgot to hook up or the one you pinched between something and grounded or the restrictor that you put in backwards or something. if you don't know if it ran ok before then thats a different deal . and either way, you need to look at the installation all over again and confirm the fuel pressures at the rail etc... simple diagnostics... no magic fix
Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Registered

Good advice..ran great before I messed with it...just don't know if the dist would quit firing 4 cylinders...if it was the injectors dumping too much fuel...wouldn't they all be the same....they wouldn't pulse differently from one side to the other...would they?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
its unusual to find chickens stuffed into only four cylinders of a big block. traditionally they prefer to nest in two per side. you might try covering the exhaust and intakes when they leave to keep them getting back in.
Why would chickens prefer to nest 2 per side...is it a territory thing or do they just prefer more room to nest?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Good advice..ran great before I messed with it...just don't know if the dist would quit firing 4 cylinders...if it was the injectors dumping too much fuel...wouldn't they all be the same....they wouldn't pulse differently from one side to the other...would they?
thats tough to say. they are grouped and pulse in pairs , i believe... i can't recall and thats where having the factory workshop manual is essential. on my 502, it went from perfect to horrible in an instant one day which turned out to be one shorted injector shutting off 3 others as well. the wiring diagram identifies it quite plainly and once i looked at it it was quite obvious where the problem was... but i don't remember now. but the truth of the matter is that if it ran fine before you started then it should now and if it doesn't then its something you did. this isn't a condemnation of you as an individual , it is simply rule number one in the world of engineering. " if it worked before you started and it doesn't now then its something you did ." i , as well as every other living human being that has ever laid hand to anything has had this happen. the trick is to just recognize it immediatly and back out of what you did until you find what you screwed up.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck27
Why would chickens prefer to nest 2 per side...is it a territory thing or do they just prefer more room to nest?
mostly its geographic... in the south its because they need room for an old rusted refrigerator on their front lawn and in the notheast its because , as republicans, they don't want anybody moving in next door.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
mostly its geographic... in the south its because they need room for an old rusted refrigerator on their front lawn and in the notheast its because , as republicans, they don't want anybody moving in next door.
Thats funny, I thought in the south they nested 2 per bank because 4 creates too much fowl odor. This of course leads to a lot of fowl language which the baptist down there have a problem with.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered

Im thinking it has something to do with the spark...have to look.and see what's in that distributor...the install of the blower was pretty strait forward...very careful to not smash or force anything!! Double checked and all seems fine..someone told me air leak...but why would it only be one bank and wouldn't it be lean instead of fuel fouled?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it have the GM EST factory dist and coil ? I have a new MSD pro billet replacment for that dist and matching MSD coil as well...if you think will help, Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.