Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Minor continuing problem ... >

Minor continuing problem ...

Notices

Minor continuing problem ...

Old 06-03-2002, 10:38 PM
wilerty

Default Minor continuing problem ...

This isn't anything too serious but maybe someone has found a cure. I keep blowing the hose off the plastic peice that fits into the Bravo 1 outdrive for the speedo. I finally resorted to two tiny hose clamps (the normal type tightened with a screwdriver) and blew it off again at 93mph indicated. The speedo is reasonably accurate into the 60s and is fine for everyday use. I have a hand held GPS and just want the normal speedo to work. I know I can buy a GPS speedo or can get a transom mount unit ... I just don't want to bother. How does anyone else keep the hose on???

Old 06-04-2002, 12:10 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wilerty,

I think you're kind of stuck with moving on to a GPS. That tube will continue to pop out at the speeds you're running. It's just too much pressure and if you try to secure it with hose clamps, tie wraps etc. you'll just end up blowing the attachment piece out of the drive, or worse blowing the tube off the transom shield side and hosing down the engine compartment.......

There do seem to be certain hulls where the problem is less, possibly it's the volume of water released up from the stern of the transom, such as in non notched transoms, standoff box applications etc.

Ours are disconnected on the F-2 boat and my pleasure boat for the same reasons you're experiencing.

Take care, be safe, that's a quick boat you're running.

Steve
Old 06-04-2002, 02:56 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine has been doing some of the same
However, mine keeps blowing off at the back of the speedo
Now this is really bad when flying along and you are suddenly being pissed on by your dash
Mine happens at anything above 70
I have since unpugged the drive connection and ordered
a Nordskog GPS
Thanks to OSO and Patrick I was able to get a discount on it also.
Till waiting to make the time to install it
Old 06-04-2002, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wilerty,

I'm sure that the pressures at 93 are significantly more than my 69-70(indicated), but I have found that those small plastic draw-tight ties work well. I haven't had one blow off since using these.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:07 AM
Charter Member #38
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought but have you checked the tension or slack of the tube while at full trim ? Try trimming drive to where you run at WOT in your driveway. See if the tube is being pulled taunt ?! I had this happen on a previous boat. I had to pull more tube from inside the boat.

All else fails put some Marine adhesive/sealant on the barbed end , put the tube back on and let it sit for a day.

Nothing worse than not knowing how fast you're going., or having to retreive the boat and replug , or worse yet having to enter the water and scuba dive to replug.

Good Luck
Old 06-04-2002, 10:58 AM
wilerty

SteveDavid: Note I said "indicated" ... actually GPS reads 83 when speedo says 93, which is still very quick for a 26' hull. I VERY rarely go over about 70 and cruise at 62mph at 4000rpm.

Baja Daz: The draw tight ties were useless ... been there, done that.

Old 06-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never found a fix & kept blowing off the Formula at 75- GPS. Of course I never tried super-glue!! Just a consequence of speed!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

and blew it off again at 93mph indicated.
Damn ! I hope I have that problem!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Get a tall glass of ice-cold water. Remove the hose from the fitting. If you have adequate "slack", then cut off the end so you have "virgin" hose. Cut two pieces of good-quality shrink tubing that will fit over the hose. The pieces should only be as long as the barb on the fitting. (don't use the thin vinyl Radio Shack shrink tubing, use the thicker GB brand or similar form a electric supply house.

Slip the two pcs of shrink on the tubing and slide them out of the way.

Using a heatgun, heat the tubing till it is a bit soft (not too much). Slide it firmly onto the fitting. Then slide piece #1 of the shrink over the fitting area and heatgun it until it has a good shrink. Let it cool normally. If you want additional insurance, slide #2 shrink tube over the fitting and heat it good too.

At all costs, do NOT let the shrink tube extend past the fitting barb - it WILL close off the hole in the pressure tubing.

This fix has worked well on 100mph outboards. Can be used on the back of the speedo as well, if necessary.

Fitting may now blow out of the drive.
Pressure tubing may blow a fatal blister (be sure to use the thick-walled AirGuide-style tubing or equivalent).

Old 06-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Oh, the ice water is if you get the tubing too flimsy. Cool it down quickly before it gets thin spots.

Then drink the rest when finished.

Quick Reply: Minor continuing problem ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.