Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Octane Concerns >

Octane Concerns

Notices

Octane Concerns

Old 06-05-2002, 02:16 AM
canyonman

Default Octane Concerns

I am going to Lake Powell for a week. My 502 motor runs on 92 octane at 1500 feet just fine (9.5 or so compression). I am at 3400 feet at Powell and I have to use 87 octane lake gas that is available from the marina at Dangling Rope. My builder says the altitude should cause me to change the jets one size on the secondary and two on the primary. Octane, he says, should not be of a concern due to the increased altitude if I stay off it and should be OK with booster if I want to hang it out, the problem is we water ski and do many hole shots ( I also like to go fast once in a while).

Any opinions about the advice?

What octane booster to use and how much to be safe?

Old 06-05-2002, 11:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canyonman, Years ago we used to got to Powell with a little fast boat that did not have big tanks. We used to carry 2 5gal cans of fuel and keep them at camp to use as needed. It wasn't that much of a hassle. I would, and do put 2 gal of race fuel in each 32 gal tank to raise oct. so you could do the same and pack 4 gal to your camp and that would be enough for a weeks fuel. We never screwed with the jetting, it was just a little fat but no problems.
I know oct. booster cans are smaller but I don't like using them.
Have fun, thats my favorite place to boat. GEO