598 Engine Build >

598 Engine Build

Notices

598 Engine Build

Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
That is very slick Bob. I have been wanting to do something along those lines for some time. I just never seem to find the time. I'm sure you know what I mean. I had quite a different plan but that seemed to work very good. Placing the throttle bodies directly over the intake runners is obviously the way to go. Congrats. Very nice.
Eddie
doesn't the off the shelf KINSLER stuff do exactly this same thing ? i used it all the time on the v8 and v6's .
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Registered

That's pretty awesome.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Very cool, Bob. Nice work. Swing up my way and give me a WOT fly-by at the 17MM. Give me a head's up, and I"ll get you on HD.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they do. Just not exactly what I was looking for. I bought the throttle blades from them.

Originally Posted by stevesxm
doesn't the off the shelf KINSLER stuff do exactly this same thing ? i used it all the time on the v8 and v6's .
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As impressive as the setup looks, the dyno sheets are even more impressive. I cannot believe the improvement. That is awesome.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
Yes they do. Just not exactly what I was looking for. I bought the throttle blades from them.
tell me about that , please. my experience with their stuff were the factory race motors that came to me to run from chevy and buick and ford... so while i certainly had my hands all over it, it wasn't my design or specification or anything like that... but the stuff was very well executed and simple and worked really well. for the sake of discussion and no other reason, what did you like/ not like achieve/ couldn't achieve ?

am curious in an intellectual and engineering framework...

i mean... it never occured to me to do it because... well... it never occured to me... but on box stock 502 mag mpi's like i had, if you had dumped the manifold that everyone hates and replaced it with the kinsler piece and adapted the factory mpi to it , do you think that would be a net gain , loss or a waste of time ?

Last edited by stevesxm; 08-09-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Nice Part!

Hey Bob, nice work and a great result.
As we all seem to say now, when it comes to naturally aspirated in a marine engine,"THERE AIN'T NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!"
We did a lot of development on the 598-600 cubic inch versions of the 8.1L 496 Gen 7 engine as you know and we developed two different intakes that would support 750HP on the big cubes and higher flowing CNC'd heads. One was a redo of our existing 496 manifold that was reasonably priced using two 1200 cfm throttle bodies. The long runners and big plenum developed huge torque like you are seeing in your great creation and the other is our stack in line fuel injection system we built for the HO750 engine. The later obviously has the wow factor but the cost of this type keeps most guys wallets in their pockets!
I am curious what you think your beautiful system would sell for?
You also qualify as an "Official Rocket Scientist" for that amazing throttle linkage set-up- NICE WORK! The design and CNC work on the throttle bodies is really nice and obviously the system works very well as the dyno sheets show.
Congratulations on some nice development work!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Attached Thumbnails 598 Engine Build-raylar-hdt750.jpg   598 Engine Build-raylar-hdt750r.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Very cool!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost was the first driver on my decision. Kinsler could make pretty much anything I wanted, but ended up pretty pricey. I wasn't even sure how well it would work with the intake. Since Dave was able to build them(as a prototype), the rest became moot.

You would definitely gain some HP potential with the Kinsler setup. But, with the really small cam and low RPM limit of a stock 502 you may have never seen it and would have lost a lot of low end torque. Years ago I built a 540 with the mpi intake. It made tons of torque but layed down hard around 4900 rpm. Swapped out to a single plane intake and carb and it lost a lot of low end but gained about 300 rpm on top. I didn't have a dyno at the time, so no good data. The 500efi intake also has much better runners than the 502 MPI intake.

Originally Posted by stevesxm
tell me about that , please. my experience with their stuff were the factory race motors that came to me to run from chevy and buick and ford... so while i certainly had my hands all over it, it wasn't my design or specification or anything like that... but the stuff was very well executed and simple and worked really well. for the sake of discussion and no other reason, what did you like/ not like achieve/ couldn't achieve ?

am curious in an intellectual and engineering framework...

i mean... it never occured to me to do it because... well... it never occured to me... but on box stock 502 mag mpi's like i had, if you had dumped the manifold that everyone hates and replaced it with the kinsler piece and adapted the factory mpi to it , do you think that would be a net gain , loss or a waste of time ?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
Cost was the first driver on my decision. Kinsler could make pretty much anything I wanted, but ended up pretty pricey. I wasn't even sure how well it would work with the intake. Since Dave was able to build them(as a prototype), the rest became moot.

You would definitely gain some HP potential with the Kinsler setup. But, with the really small cam and low RPM limit of a stock 502 you may have never seen it and would have lost a lot of low end torque. Years ago I built a 540 with the mpi intake. It made tons of torque but layed down hard around 4900 rpm. Swapped out to a single plane intake and carb and it lost a lot of low end but gained about 300 rpm on top. I didn't have a dyno at the time, so no good data. The 500efi intake also has much better runners than the 502 MPI intake.
interesting... thanks... and well done again. thats nice work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.