Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What fuel for 502EFI MAG? >

What fuel for 502EFI MAG?

Notices

What fuel for 502EFI MAG?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure where I can get pure gas around here though. I do recall a Citgo with 89.5 somewhere near the lake that my Dad used to go to. I wonder if that was pure gas. His boat actually ran better on that stuff.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Like everyone said, 87 will work fine, but keep it fresh. Only pump the amount of fuel you will burn out within a couple of weeks. Don't keep the tank full if you are not burning a lot of fuel. I only pump what I am going to use for the weekend.
In the winter pump it as low as you can, then fill as needed in the spring. The old school method was to fill it and use stabilizer.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

dont those engines have a knock sensor....????
Old 08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
They can only do so much, Merc has even released bulitins about the fuel problem.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Registered

the knock sensor is to keep the motor from being stupid. not the owner.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
the knock sensor is to keep the motor from being stupid. not the owner.
Man, that's funny right there. I hope you don't mind Steve, but I'm gonna borrow that one. (well OK, I'm gonna steal it)
Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Man, that's funny right there. I hope you don't mind Steve, but I'm gonna borrow that one. (well OK, I'm gonna steal it)
it's yours, no charge.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
They can only do so much, Merc has even released bulitins about the fuel problem.
then wouldnt the knock sensor pull timing out with 87 as opposed to 91??
Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

then wouldnt the knock sensor pull timing out with 87 as opposed to 91??
the knck sensor will do the best it can to control detonation should detonation occur. but thats not the point. the point is that the knock sensor is not an active device. its a passive device. it's the fire extinguisher you keep in your garage. just because you have an extinguisher doesn't mean its smart to use a cutting torch next to a bucket of gas.

just because you have a knock sensor doesn't mean you can or should be stupid or careless or negligent in what kind of fuel you run. if the knock sensor is cycling then its already too late. YOU have screwed up. not the motor. the perfect knock sensor would have a remote controlled taser aimed at your balls. i'll bet you would be a lot more careful with your fuel selection then...

but maybe not.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
the knck sensor will do the best it can to control detonation should detonation occur. but thats not the point. the point is that the knock sensor is not an active device. its a passive device. it's the fire extinguisher you keep in your garage. just because you have an extinguisher doesn't mean its smart to use a cutting torch next to a bucket of gas.

just because you have a knock sensor doesn't mean you can or should be stupid or careless or negligent in what kind of fuel you run. if the knock sensor is cycling then its already too late. YOU have screwed up. not the motor. the perfect knock sensor would have a remote controlled taser aimed at your balls. i'll bet you would be a lot more careful with your fuel selection then...

but maybe not.
Boy your really funny....who writes your material???.....with an attitude like that do you have any friends???

Please dont respond to any more of my posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.