Prop labbing...

Notices

Prop labbing...

Old 06-07-2002, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prop labbing...

Is that a real word?

Anyway, I got a SWEET deal on a pair of Bravo 1 props. They have a few nicks and dings so I figured that I'd get them labbed. I am leaning towards York, mostly because of comments on the board. Can anyone recommend someone else and why?

Mongo
Old 06-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 544 Posts

I trusted York to mine. Too bad I dinged it up first time in the water after labbing. Great workmanship and service at York.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent York some less than perfect props. He said because of their condition, they were not labbable. (is that a word?)
Old 06-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Registered

I sent mine to York, he did a really good job. I highly recommend
his work.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:30 PM
Registered

York all the way.

The props were so pretty when I opened the box, I almost couldn't put them on the boat. Mine were pretty bad when I sent them in. Good prices and accurate turnaround time.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

York charges about half of what Merc charges. To give an example I did a side by side comparison with my York's vs. Merc's lab finish---Merc's really looked embarrasing compaired to York's. The consistancy of the blades on York's props are excellent. Also, York polished finish looks great too where as Merc doesn't. Apparently some people argue the point---however, York must be doing something right because their props beat out Merc's a couple years ago down at Lake X.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:20 PM
bajah2x105

I just posted about bending my Quad IV. What is the # for York and where are they? Turnaround time? Thanks. Scott

Old 06-11-2002, 12:10 AM
Registered

Hi Scott,

It is:

York Propellers
1631-B N. Placentia
Anaheim, CA 92806
Tel: (714) 773-5444
John

I am sending mine off tomorrow...

Mongo
Old 06-11-2002, 06:27 AM
kook

Default think twice

You DO know that lab'ing thins the blades makes the props much more "disposible" if you happen to hit anything with them, yes? Food for thought.

Old 06-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Registered

Yes, Kook, you're right. It does make the blades thinner and break easier. However, John at York can do a "partial" lab, that is to balance and blueprint the props, sharpen and polish. Re-rake and or re-pitch along with re-cupping to tweak the best performance/reliability.

In my case (I have a 35 Cig) he recommends a partial as my boat is heavy and not used for racing. I need to get about 200 more RPM and clean up the nicks and dings. He won't know for sure what is completly possible until he gets them in hand (they are on the way).

In talking to John, he seems to want to err to the side of reliability instead of the extra .25 mph (for my application). I have read elsewhere on the forum that if you want the fastest possible prop, John is the guy to go to. My conversation with him tells me he can do both. I'll let you know how it goes, but, I think he and I are on the same page.

Mongo

Quick Reply: Prop labbing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.