Help with oil bypass valve.. >

Help with oil bypass valve..

Notices

Help with oil bypass valve..

Old 06-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with oil bypass valve..

We have come to the conclusion that it takes so much pressure to push my oil thru the filter, cooler and stat. that half the oil is going thru the bypass valve in the remote oil filter adapter thats on the block..

So we need to replace this bypass valve with a stronger spring.

anybody know what the set PSI is on the spring thats in there, it came off a 1989 350 mag with no oil cooler?

anybody know where I can find these springs to see if I can find a stiffer one?

Or should I just pull it and tap and plug the bypass valve hole and run a high burst filter... ?

HELP..

Thanks

Travis
Old 06-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I can't really help you with your other questions, but I'd check Summit or Jegs for the spring. They're bound to have them.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered

How ya doin cord.. Well i checked those places and no one has anything, Jegs does have a teflon plug for chevys, but i think its for the block bypass not the one I need for the adapter bypass..

anybody else?
Old 06-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Travis, I'm familiar with the one used on late model big blocks. The stock bypass is set at 11psi. I bought several 30psi valves from Scoggins Dickey. It's not on their web site - you'll have to call them to order it. Talk to the people on their tech line - they should be able to answer your questions.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure bypass valves

GM makes a higher pressure bypass valve for bigblocks. Its about 4 bucks. You must have it because the stock one will bypass the remote filter and cooler most of the time if you dont. I dont know if the small block uses the same part. Find a GM Performance Parts catalog and its in there. Paceparts.com also had them listed at one time.

Ron
Old 06-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is a 15 PSI bypass, but there shouldn't be that much drop across your filter/cooler/t-stat. What is causing the restriction? I run a remote filter and a cooler and have had no problems with the stock merc block adaptor/bypass. I run all 10 sized lines with minimal 90 degree fittings. Maybe the t-stat is very restrictive or your filter is plugged with assy. lube or water that got into your oil? I run Amsoil 10W40 synthetic oil in a 700 plus HP N/A BBC. Keep in mind high visc mineral oils don't flow very well until they get to 210 to 230 degrees. Unless you are all out racing the lighter oils are easier on parts and flow better at lower temps which may help your bypass situation. Just a thought. Good luck!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Registered

thanks guys, I'll check out GM's catalog and see what they have..

wette vette... this setup never had a cooler or stat.... we put this on with the remote oil filter and we think there is retriction in the stat and cooler to make the by pass open and let some of the oil through... I just changed the filter to see if that would help and it didn't. So we will start by putting in a stronger bypass spring and then go from there...

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

That's right! To adjust the pressure, the spring is shimmed!

Traviss-are you thinking that there is a problem with the cooler?
Old 06-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Registered

Cord... No there is no problem with the cooler it works great.. Thats another hint that makes us think it is going thru the bypass is that the oil temp is 230 at cruise and pegs it at WOT 280 meaning it is not going thru the filter/cooler/ stat... ..it should not be this hot at all....

You never know I did get that cooler from some wisconsin cheese head :P
Old 06-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Phew! I was getting worried for a second there!

You know, maybe that's why it's baffling you, you Michiganer! Yea, yea! So take that! Nobody from the downwind side dares to call me a cheddar head!

Ah, that's OK, I know that you only meant it in jest. But your football team still SUCKS!

Quick Reply: Help with oil bypass valve..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.