Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Low oil pressure and possibe overheat???? Related? >

Low oil pressure and possibe overheat???? Related?

Notices

Low oil pressure and possibe overheat???? Related?

Old 06-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure and possibe overheat???? Related?

I just did my first oil change ay 10 hours on my rebuilt Gen 4 454 (.060 over; 9.5:1 compression; stock merc heads and intake).
The oil was black and I haven't run over 4450 rpm and that was for 30 seconds. I have kept the motor between 3000 and 4000 rpm for most of the first 10 hours with a few lengthy idling periods. I installed a new melling HV oil pump during the rebuild. I am unable to build more than 35 psi oil pressure once the engine reaches normal operating temp..170 degrees and steady. Used straight 40 for break in and now am on 10-40 for the next 10 hours before going to 15-50 Mobil One

Memorial day weekend I popped the main hose from the thermostat to the circulating pump on the motor )@ 4200 rpm and the motor died. I am not sure if it took a gulp of water or overheated. The temp guage was actually going down before the motor died from lack of water enterings the thermostat housing. I reattached the hose and the motor cranked right back up and ran fine the rest of the trip. I feel like I was getting 45 psi oil pressure before the hose incident but am not positive and am worried that there is now a problem...
What are the scenarios for low oil pressure given these circumstances? Is it possible to have run the engine hot enough to have hurt the oil pressure? I am going to try a new sending unit and guage shortly to see if the guage is faulty as well as install a oil temp guage.....
Thanks,
Ken
Old 06-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you feel you've overheated the oil, definitely change it. You may have started breaking down the oil, especially if it's black. You're oil pressure should return after that. I had a similar problem where I lost a belt, it flipped around a took out my H2O pump belt at the same time. Engine got hot but made it back in OK. Oil pressure was low after that. Changed oil - pressure back up.