Theory of Hull Speed >

Theory of Hull Speed

Notices

Theory of Hull Speed

Old 06-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theory of Hull Speed

Do Planning hulls have a hull speed where drag becomes so great that even with additional horsepower your boat will not go much faster. Or it requires alot more horsepower to go a little faster?

My new motor is faster with one person and little gas on board. When I load the boat up with 50 gallons gas full water 4 people and 6 water ski's on a 110 degree day the new motor will plane faster but at wot my top end speed is the same as my old motor.

I figure with the additional weight I sit low in the water and I just have too much drag at wot that the additional hp is not noticable at speed. The additional hp is noticable out of the hole and comming on plane.

The other thing that might be draging me down is a 4 blade prop. Maybe I will go back to a three blade?

Is hull speed a brick wall or should I keep trying? Maybe trim tabs will give me more speed with a load?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell us about your boat. Engine, drive,HP, what parts in engine. GO INTO FINE DETAIL.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Registered

Uh-Oh; I'm not liking the sound of this! Check out the "Prop/Stern Lift" thread and get back with more info. like Tinkerboater said. --- Jer
Old 06-11-2002, 01:07 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,902 Likes on 955 Posts

Sounds like you've got a smaller boat. They are affected more by increased weight.

Also sounds like you torque curve on the engine changed form the previous engine. Since you're planing faster but not really gaining on the top end, you've added torque in the low and midrange, but not in the upper rpms. Thus, no real speed increases.

Just some guesses with the limited info.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like your thinking Griff.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Registered

Tinkerboat,

Chaparral 1935ss short and beamy. Stock motor 350 2 barrel with an alpha i gen2 drive.

new motor vortec 355 stock cam, edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, edelbrock air gap intake.

Griff,

Yes this is a small boat 19' 3". I think the drag builds with the additional weight.

This was my experience: When I was testing my engine: One person light on fuel the motor would rev past 5k just like it will rev past 1k. I was thinking about repropping the boat.

With a full load and people in the back seats the most I could get was 4800 rpm. So my old prop is fine.

My old motor would also max at 4800. My new motor seems to have alot more hp comming out of the hole. Running empty the boat is faster. When I load it up It runs like my old engine at wot. I figure at about 46 knots fully loaded the drag on the chapparal hull becomes so great the boat is hitting the designed hull speed.

I was wondering what the drag curve looks like?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,902 Likes on 955 Posts

I think what you have is fairly common. I had a 20' Crownline a few boats back, and I would lose 3-5 mph if I had 6+ people in it, compared to having just 2 and light fuel. It was the same type of boatas yours. Short and wide(8'6) beam.

So, Yes, I think your drag is greatly increasing with the weight added. All boats will have increased drag with more weight. When you start with a 3000# boat and add 1000#in fuel,gear and people, thats a big % increase in weight.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a favourite subject. There are three components to hull drag; displacement, wetted surface friction and turbulence as the water sucks in behind the transom. Planing hulls minimize all three compared to a displacement hull (sailboat). The math says that power should go up as the cube of speed, but in real life in a planing hull, power seems to go up as the square of speed. Mercury's empirical equation based on the results of many boat tests is a squared function. As a result the hull drag curve is a parabola.

The power available from the engine at different RPM is the dyno curve. Making some simple assumptions about how much of the dyno HP makes it through the drive to the prop, and how much of that propshaft HP is converted into thrust, you can plot the available prop HP curve on the same graph as the hull drag curve. Maximum speed occurs where the curves cross.

When this kind of model is calibrated with accurate test data for a particular hull, the predictions of speed vs. power are pretty accurate.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Registered

yeah what Tomcat said
Old 06-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boat Speeds

Predicting performance powerboat speed and stabilty is somewhat more complex than it was 25 years ago. While the water (hydrodynamic) lift and drag are a function of profile drag, friction drag and at slow speeds, maybe some bouyancy; there is also a significant component of aerodynamic lift and drag to most well-designed, modern-day performance powerboats. As the speed increases the contribution of lower unit drag, cockpit drag and motor drag become significant also.

The lift and drag generated due to the 'planing' of planing pads or sponson bottoms on the water surface is a function of five (5) factors:
(a) Velocity
(b) Lifting surface area
(c) Angle-of-attack
(d) Aspect ratio
(e) Surface finish

I've just published a series of articles on powerboat lift, drag and performance in my monthly newsletter. You can get the back issues of TBPNews newsletter.

If you like, you can send me some details of your boat, and I'll run it through our design performance analysis software for you.

Also, check out the downloads in the on the AeroMarine Research website.

If you're serious about the real contributions design features make to performance and stability my book has all the details and formulae for everything...check out our publications at:
"Secrets of Tunnel Boat Design"
"Power Boat Design Software"
"History of Tunnel Boat Design"

/Jimboat, AeroMarine Research

Quick Reply: Theory of Hull Speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.