Notices

Black Smoke

Old 06-13-2002, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger,

Unfortunately most of the marine mechanics are not at all familiar with "high performance" applications and at the end of the day end up guessing, with your money, what the problem might be...
About the only way to check the power valves is the look down the throat of the carb trick... At an idle the fuel should be vaporized for the most part or maybe just an occasional drop which you can see... If they are bad you will see nearly a stream... Are there metering blocks/plates on both ends of the carb... If they are bad about the only places I could find the parts were the local speed shop... They are sized by the amount of vacuum required to keep the valve closed and that number is stamped on the valve... Once you cure the mass fuel problem the mixture screws on the carb can be adjusted...

Tnx, Karl

PS... Once the problem is resolved I would also suggest changing the plugs again...
Old 06-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Intolerant1

If its a newer 4779 then it should have Power Valve blowout protection. 4779's only have a primary power valve I believe.

PS, there was a boat called Quite Storm in South Haven Michigan last weekend. Was that you?

Old 06-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karl,

Thanks for all the info. I'll check it out this weekend. There is a speed shop close to where I go in Michigan.

Chris,

I heard that the carbs. may be protected. They should be new, I just bought them from Teague. When I asked them the size of the power valve, he only gave one size. I'll check with them.
If the Quiet Storm was a 28' red Checkmate Convincor, that was me. Did you come to South Haven for the poker run? Did you have a boat there?

Roger
Old 06-18-2002, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I changed the power valves. Changed the spark plugs. In the water gas was dpipping into the carbs. Readjusted the float levels. Everything looked good. Ran fine, no black smoke, no dripping gas into the carbs. Took it out and it ran great. Lake Michigan was too rough again to run WOT again. Coming back in it started to run rough. Revved it to clear thing out. Everything started to work fine again, then the starboard motor started to back fire. Shut it off, put it on the trailer and took it over to Bruce Wolff's. Somebody on here recommended this guy. I hope you are right about him. I'm sick of this *#^&.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:27 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Storm,
You are in good hands at Wolffies. He rebuilt my 454 this year and I am very pleased. Still have some dialing in to do. No big deal. Was there last Friday and had the pleasure of listening to SYNERGY's (Cigarette out of Chicago)new motors. AWESOME!! He will take care of you.

Paul
Old 06-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Registered

Could your problem be that the gas is peculating? If things ran fine until it heated, up, it is possible that the gas started to boil in the carbs. Just a thought.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:56 PM
Intolerant1

I lost track of the thread. Yes we were in the water at South Haven to watch the poker run. Maroon and Whit Liberator named Miss Demeanor. We are in SH alot as the inlaws live there. Give me a shout if you ever want to hook up.

If you ever need Holley parts for tuning I have a complete selection of jets, springs, and a good number of power valves as well as vacume guage etc.

I had put up a post about Wolfeies. Others have had great things to say as well. Good luck.

Last edited by Intolerant1; 06-19-2002 at 05:59 PM.

Old 06-20-2002, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fever,

I don't think the gas overheated. I have not seen allot of heat in the motors. At idle the temp gauges read 110. But everything started to happen fast and I just shut it down. I'm not sure what happened. Unless something is very wrong, Wolffie said that he would have it right by the weekend.

Chris,

I'm sure that I saw your boat. I've had allot of time to sit on the deck lately. I plan to be in South Haven over the 4th. Stop by, I'll find a place for you to dock for awhile.

Roger
Old 07-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Talking

Finialy got it . Wolffies is the place to go. He found about a gallon of gas in each block, fouled plugs and a lousy set-up. He put in MR43T plugs. Changed the power valves to 6.5. Rejeted the primarys to 76 secondarys were left at 90. Set the timing to A+ 31. Reset the floats. Changed the oil & filters. This is the short version. Wolffy put alot of effort into dialing in the motors. It starts and runs great. No problem with long idling or cruising. I will still have to play with props but the main issues with the motors are resolved. Thanks you all for the advise.

Roger
Old 07-01-2002, 01:57 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Tell us about your top speed Nice boat!! I was checking it out when I was by the shop a couple of weeks ago. We dialed mine in this weekend as well. Have fun!

Paul

Quick Reply: Black Smoke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.