Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2 questions one on the pooper one on the flapper. >

2 questions one on the pooper one on the flapper.

Notices

2 questions one on the pooper one on the flapper.

Old 06-12-2002, 05:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 questions one on the pooper one on the flapper.

I was working on the boat today trying to get the head working, The pump does not pull in water from the lake. The valve that is on there is missing the handle. Problem is I seems it is a valve like a faucet I can just barely reach it with a wrench but the spindle keeps on turning and it doesn't stop like others. From the picture can any of you tell me how this valve works I tried turning it 90 degrees at a time and cannot seem to get any suction or tell if it is open.

Second, My CMI air operated tips only stay closed about 1 minute after engaging the pump then they slowly open, Is this normal or should they stay engaged longer? One of the pistons is slow and I think posibly it is leaking. Any ideas?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 2 questions one on the pooper one on the flapper.-sillcock.jpg  
Old 06-12-2002, 10:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for leakes in your exhaust system

As far as the valve I would pull the boat and shine a flashlight in there and look at the valve. It should be a ball valve. to open it turn it 90 degrees as you have done but you could be a little off each time and you will never get her correct. Then put a handle back on it. There could be another valve that has to be opened up on the toilet or some were else in the boat. I know on my fathers boat there were three valves to open up to make it work.

Jon
Old 06-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The valve will have flats on the shaft. When the flats are inline with the valve outlet it is open- across the valve is closed.
If your air operated cylinders are opening back up then there is an air leak. Check all the hose connections and the hose itself for places it may have rubbed a hole in it. Lubricate the cylinders with dish soap. This will get them operating smothly.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may need to prime the water line into the head. Mine tends to air lock every time I put it on the lift. If you need to prime, just pull the hose at the head and pour water in there. If it keeps going down you may have to close the valve, fill it and then open the valve after putting the hose back on. You may also have a leaking valve in the head that is not allowing it to pull properly.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:10 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Ray,
Sitting here LMAO been there done that After the first year running I found my ball valve handle in the bottom of the bilge. I put it back on with loc-tite end of problem with the valve. If you have a manual head give it up and buy a electric Mary and I got arms like popeye from pumping that damn thing the seals don't last and you will have nothing but major headaches with it. I did everything I could think of to fix it and finally bought a electric at West Marine a couple of hours worth of re-rigging and your good to go.
I can show you my changes on Friday
Old 06-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the electric head. 2nd best money I ever spent on the boat. As far as the flappers go, I built a mount below the pivot and attached a spring that works like an over center cam and provides some holding power in either open or closed position. That way they will stay in whatever position the air cylinders put them in no mater if the air pressure goes away. If you want I can take a picture of it.
Tom