Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Belt driven fuel pumps for carb motor? >

Belt driven fuel pumps for carb motor?

Notices

Belt driven fuel pumps for carb motor?

Old 06-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt driven fuel pumps for carb motor?

Anyone an expert on belt driven fuel pumps similar to those on the old mechanical fuel injection systems? I am assuming a bypass will be required. Can they run a carbed motor as low as 8 PSI? Will they alone support 900 to 1000 HP? I heard these type of pumps are bullit proof and am curious to get some more input. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2002, 08:05 AM
Scott72

Maybe I am incorrect, but don't the carbed HP500's run the belt driven fuel pumps (the ones with the sea pump and fuel pump combined)? I know my friends 500 EFI has this setup.

Scott

Old 06-13-2002, 08:59 AM
Brad Perry

Default local dealer told me that

The sc800s had the same pump! He is running it on a near 1000hp 572....

Old 06-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I ran a belt driven pump on an alcohol injected motor years back. It was a high-pressure pump and would not be suited as a carb feeder pump.

The pumps on the carbed Gen5/6 motors are on a belt driven bracket. Should be able to find one suitable of supplying your needs, but I would guess you would need to find a high volume marine pump (with the diaphragm vent hose).

The positive displacement pumps (like I think you are talking about) should also be available in a pressure/volume style that suits your application, but you would certainly need a pressure regulator with a bypass port that would bypass an adequate volume at high rpm when you shut the throttles or else you will blow the needles off their seats and dump raw gas down the motor. (and the regulator/bypasses would need to be marine-rated too).
Old 06-13-2002, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, the positive displacement type.

With an appropriate bypass and regulator would that type of pump work well on 900 to 1000 HP motor? What are some of the pitfalls to this type of pump? I tend to sway toward mechanical things over electrical whenever I can. I hear a lot of people talk about their electric pumps needing to be rebuilt periodically and wondered about the reliability and performance of this simple type of pump. Thanks!