Nosecone test >

Nosecone test

Notices

Nosecone test

Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
Flying tomato how is the automotive bondo holding up? I need to sand my bob's nosecone and fill it up again as one of my outboard lowers has chunks of it coming off. I was told not to use automotive bondo, is yours holding up so far in the water. Has anyone else use automotive bondo over a long period of time and how has it worked?
I had to constantly redo the nosecone on my old Hydrostream OB. Sometimes twice a season. I switched to Bondoglass which lasted longer but I was still lucky to get a full season before it started cracking and breaking off. Boat ran about 85 mph.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
I gained 86 to 92 with Teague leading edge cones. Cheapest speed I ever got. Lot's of doubters on OSO, whatever......
Do you have a notched transom? Stock Bravo no boxes?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 1,916 Likes on 749 Posts
Default The trick is.....

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
Has anyone else use automotive bondo over a long period of time and how has it worked?
to fill as much of the void between cone and housing w/a good 2 part epoxy. Epoxy has strength and putty does not.
That way you are only skim coating w/putty.
I've done probably a dozen or so cones that way w/no issues.
Two were on 100+ mph boats for extended periods w/zero issues including the one bellow which spent most of it's life in the salt of the Gulf of Mexico.

As I was just explaining to 272driver on the phone, a trick to installing or re-doing one is to make a template of the contour of the side of the housing on a finished unit. Use thin plywood like door skin or a piece of plastic. Form it to fit from the aft section of the torpedo to the tip of the nose cone. Fill the gap with epoxy and use your template as a trowel and pull it up and down to get your form/contour as close as you can. Even if the epoxy weeps/runs you can grind it out and then only need a skin coat of bondo.
And yes almost all of mine were filled w/bondo. I've used the good stuff and had as much bad luck w/it.
Typically those problems come from filling too much of a gap w/bondo instead of epoxy or you're not squeezing it into the void enough to make 100% contact and force out the air pockets. Ideally it would all be epoxy and no bondo but it's a ***** to sand.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
to fill as much of the void between cone and housing w/a good 2 part epoxy. Epoxy has strength and putty does not.
That way you are only skim coating w/putty.
I've done probably a dozen or so cones that way w/no issues.
Two were on 100+ mph boats for extended periods w/zero issues including the one bellow which spent most of it's life in the salt of the Gulf of Mexico.

As I was just explaining to 272driver on the phone, a trick to installing or re-doing one is to make a template of the contour of the side of the housing on a finished unit. Use thin plywood like door skin or a piece of plastic. Form it to fit from the aft section of the torpedo to the tip of the nose cone. Fill the gap with epoxy and use your template as a trowel and pull it up and down to get your form/contour as close as you can. Even if the epoxy weeps/runs you can grind it out and then only need a skin coat of bondo.
And yes almost all of mine were filled w/bondo. I've used the good stuff and had as much bad luck w/it.
Typically those problems come from filling too much of a gap w/bondo instead of epoxy or you're not squeezing it into the void enough to make 100% contact and force out the air pockets. Ideally it would all be epoxy and no bondo but it's a ***** to sand.

What kind of epoxy did you use??
Old 11-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

oops, wrong thread...
Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Do you have a notched transom? Stock Bravo no boxes?
Notched transome stock Bravo 1's. Went from carb 500 hp to 585 hp. Ran 81 with 500 HPs at 5250 at 10% slip (B1 28 Pitch props). Ran 86 with 585 hp at 5500 rppm with 30 pitch B1 labbed or stock. Slip went from 10 to 16%. Nose cones brought slip back down to 10 and only lost 50 rpm and speed went to 91. Now the labbed props are faster than the stock props as they should be. Amazing difference in performance. Went to run the boat after installing the cones looked down and was passing through 89.

I think the benefit of cones is highly dependent on the application, hull, speed etc.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

I used a massive amount of JB weld to install it and to get the overall shape and then Fiberglass bondo (stuff with the little hairs in it) and then the regular bondo to finish it off smooth.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I had to constantly redo the nosecone on my old Hydrostream OB. Sometimes twice a season. I switched to Bondoglass which lasted longer but I was still lucky to get a full season before it started cracking and breaking off. Boat ran about 85 mph.
I used allmetal 6 or 7 years ago and NEVER had to do anything to it, Smitty
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regular Bondo or Automotive filler is not waterproof. The Green Fiberglass reinforced filler is better. Allmetal filler is probably the best. Jeff Wurl
Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,257 Likes on 608 Posts

Don't try Lab Metal for blending. I tried this product to fill in corrosion pits in my drives and it was a pain in the a$$.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.