Hydrolic Steering question

Notices

Hydrolic Steering question

Old 11-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolic Steering question

Hydrolic Steering question:

I have a 2004 Checkmate 270. I am currently in the process of repowering the boat. I am moving from my 496HO to a custom built 540 that will be 700HP. At the advice of several, I am looking to add hydrolic steering. I am having my Bravo X drive upgraded by Mr. Gadgets. My question is:

What kit do you guys recommend? What is sufficient (Single ram vs. Duel) is there an affordable way to do this? Are other less expensive kits as good as the IMCO kit?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the process of doing my 253 right now...you will need dual ram for that power...I have machine marine outside already on mine..so adding a inside kit from CP performance....helm might be pain as the checkmate dash is tight and thick(grinding involved) and the ends are sort of a pain to install without the special tool....but there is no cheap way to do it.....
Old 11-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also needing to install the whole system on mine I cann probly do the work myself. If you buy the completed kit are the instructions pretty straight forward? And what is the cheapest best system to get? I would think there would be something out there thats not the most expensive and still gets the job done and look good. Thanks for the help also.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 167 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a helm and all inside hoses for sale if anyone's interested.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

Get a full hydraulic dual ram system.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a full hydraulic dual ram system.if you cant put that much $$$ out go with full hyd.with one ram for smaller boat that will work . i talk to imco and had one ram but was not full did not like it .went full my drive has no play and handle great!!!!talk to bill he sold me full setup for a great price http://www.diamondperformanceparts.com/home.php?cat=261
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

4 words. Latham full hydraulic steering.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I installed a completed procharger system this summer with upgraded fuel system and all the goodies to make problem free. If I order the full hydrilic system do they come with directions and can it be done at home? Thanks guys
Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered

When building a fast boat several areas have to be addressed. First start with a good hull, without hooks or have the bottom worked first. Next is the control area. Full hydraulic steering with suitable hydraulic tabs. The transom and outdrive need to be designed for the power you plan for and then some. Then we get to the gauges. You need to be able to monitor many areas to be safe. The last thing you do is the engine(s). Unfortunately it’s the first place people start, and funds aren’t there for the other required upgrades I mentioned first. This is how we end up with some very sad endings.

A competent driver that knows the limits is the best piece of safety equipment.

Bottom Line Full hydraulic and upgrade the rest too.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My boat has a great bottom its padded and has a notched transome and is a twin step hull. With the procharger I have been running strong all summer long with no no no issues. It has the cable steering and works good until about upper 70s on gps speedo. Then it starts the chime walking pretty good. Thats why Im wanting to install the full hydrolic system. Im just asking if this system is ordered is it pretty straight forward to install at home and do it myself. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by swan2; 11-14-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.