K Plane pins? >

K Plane pins?

Notices

K Plane pins?

Old 06-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K Plane pins?

I have to remove the cylinder from one of my K Planes because it is leaking badly.
I have tried every thing to get the dam pins out that connect the plane to the transom plate and can not get them to budge.
I have beat on them w/a hammer. heated them, soaked them w/penatrating oil, disconected the hoses and wiggled the plane up and down to remove pressure, a combination of all of the above and the dam pins still will not move!!!

I have thought about trying to push the pins out w/ a gear puller, but I am too afraid that will put too much pressure on the cast transom plate and break it. Is there a special trick to doing this?

Can some one please help me with ideas to get this f#cker out!
Old 06-14-2002, 11:43 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 995 Likes on 505 Posts

the last time i removed some pins i heated them up till the rubber bushings started to melt!!! It was the only way i could bust them loose!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Registered

Yea, you may have to heat-up the casting quickly with an oxy-acytelene torch, but protect the cylinders from the heat! Just don't beat on the pins too much since they will mushroom and the you will never get 'em out without cutting them off. In fact you may want to take a micrometer and measure the diamerter of the pin at the end you were beating on to make that it is not too mishroomed to pass through the pin bore in the casting.

BTW, are the K-plane pins retained by circlips on nuts? I think the circlip retained pins are now discontinued.

Last edited by ForrestC; 06-14-2002 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:36 PM
Registered

Forrest they have the clips. The head did mushroom so I ground off the mushroomed part so it was flush w/ the housing and tried beating on it again , still no luck the thing that sucks is I ground past the groove for the ring so if I do get it out I will have to geet a new pin.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:14 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

As a last resort you could take it to a machinist have them bored out.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut mine with a saw and then was able to drive the ones on the boat out no problem and then press the one out of the piston. I then got new pins. If you heat it up be very carefull about the heat transfering to the boat. Alluminum does not like to be heated up quickly.

Jon
Old 09-07-2002, 07:41 AM
Registered

Too Old sorry but no I kind of gave up on it for now

This winter I am pullling the whole assemblies off of the boat to blast and paint them, With the whole thing off of the boat I will be able to heat and beat without worrying about damage to the boat, I will probably try to press them out

Man those things are a b!tch I wailed on those thing w/ a 20lb. sledge hammer and accomplished nothing, except a huge chunk missing out of the transom where I missed the pin

If you have the time to remove whole thing from the transom of the boat I would definately do it, that way you can also soak them in WD-40 or a similar solvent.

Let me know if you have any luck or find a better way
Old 09-07-2002, 08:40 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey hear is a brain storm. Rebuild the cylinder on the boat Just thought of that. Can I get a DUH from the croud
Old 09-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine just slid out when I change the 280 to 380's tabs. Lucky me.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:49 AM
Registered

I've got the same issue with mine. They are the old style with the "C" clits. Glad I found out the easy way it's a lost cause before I through the hammer thru the boat.

I just can't stand not being able to take things apart. I'll usually try until I break something, then have an excuse to buy new. I'll just take them off the boat before any more pounding. I couldn't deal with having to paint them all together on the boat.

Bravo to you Fred, good luck with them.

Quick Reply: K Plane pins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.