Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Sorry, guess it wasn't clear. For twins TBI = $5000
For twins with an MPI style set up = $7000.
Ok, thanks for the info., appreciate it.

I'm at 580 cu in, blown with twin carbs. Will that raise/lower the pricing?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

In the interest of full disclosure.. When I started this thread I was just a consumer that was very happy with a new product. Since then I have become a Holley EFI dealer and authorized tuning center. So if it seems like I'm biased.. I probably am
But it's still the most kick azz system out there right now, and the only one that's USCG certified.
Just curious if you tried one of these and what you thought, http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-XFI-2-0...93899191398674
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
Just curious if you tried one of these and what you thought, http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-XFI-2-0...93899191398674
No, I heard they were working on it but I didn't know they had them in production yet. I'm sure it will be excellent like their automotive stuff. I think it's great that these companies are working hard to provide a marine specific product, and a little competition can only benefit the consumers. I'll definitely check it out.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

No, I heard they were working on it but I didn't know they had them in production yet. I'm sure it will be excellent like their automotive stuff. I think it's great that these companies are working hard to provide a marine specific product, and a little competition can only benefit the consumers. I'll definitely check it out.
If nothing more the competition may make the products a little more user friendly. Holley and Fast with their self tune option opens a lot of doors for someone wanting to upgrade or add EFI.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Great thread.

Being a MoTeC dealer and using it on our race cars, I can't wait to get rid of the carbs on my BBC's. No offense to anyone, but it feels like carbs on a performance engine are akin to solid rubber tires on a daily driver

I have to say though, for all my boat is (isn't) this Holley set-up looks like the way to go. Even an M84 at dealer cost can't touch the price difference with the Holley system. Not that I expected it to

Being a data nut its knowing what's going on, with the driveability of EFI being a plus that I like. Turn the key with a perfect idle when engines are cold and drop the drives into gear leaving a busy ramp, all that.

I think I'm sold on this Holley system.

How much memory and how many channels for data logging in the Holley ECU Haxby? Enough memory for a decent amount of data logging time? When bad things happen its always nice to look back... and even when nothing is going wrong its nice to have a look through when back home and know everything is good to go again next time out. Peace of mind.

I don't think I'll be showing the MoTeC people under the hatch. Lol...
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rookie17
Great thread.

Being a MoTeC dealer and using it on our race cars, I can't wait to get rid of the carbs on my BBC's. No offense to anyone, but it feels like carbs on a performance engine are akin to solid rubber tires on a daily driver

I have to say though, for all my boat is (isn't) this Holley set-up looks like the way to go. Even an M84 at dealer cost can't touch the price difference with the Holley system. Not that I expected it to

Being a data nut its knowing what's going on, with the driveability of EFI being a plus that I like. Turn the key with a perfect idle when engines are cold and drop the drives into gear leaving a busy ramp, all that.

I think I'm sold on this Holley system.

How much memory and how many channels for data logging in the Holley ECU Haxby? All ecm readable functions are available and you can select which ones you want to record Enough memory for a decent amount of data logging time? 2.0GB! Depending on how many FPS you choose and how many channels, that's a ton of information. You can choose to have recording triggered from almost anything like above a set rpm, boost, temp, below a certain oil psi, you can trigger it from a switch or just have it record full time. When bad things happen its always nice to look back... and even when nothing is going wrong its nice to have a look through when back home and know everything is good to go again next time out. Peace of mind.

I don't think I'll be showing the MoTeC people under the hatch. Lol...
It's a bit of an art to tune a carburetor, a 12yr old kid can tune a fuel curve on a marine engine with today's systems. It's getting so easy and affordable now for aftermarket EFI that carbs are really becoming a thing of the past, as well as all the mystery and voodoo surrounding "tuners".
Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think the Holley system support a MAF sensor does it?

Michael
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don't think the Holley system support a MAF sensor does it?

Michael
it will support whatever you can throw at it..with in reason..
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yup, 2 Gig of data is more than plenty. With a sensible FPS and basic channels that could be a whole day of data on the water for me.

Not sure on your comment about any 12 year old could do it though. Knowing and understanding software is one thing, knowing and understanding what an engine needs to perform and stay healthy is something else. Even with a self learn feature, you still need an understanding of what is safe for your particular engine(s) with many of the parameters.

As good as the self learn feature may be, there is no way I would trust my engines 100% to some software developer hoping that he got his one's and zero's correct.
Self learn is no doubt a great tool, and could speed up the process. Personally for me, there is too much money in the engine compartment to trust it blindly. No matter how many times it worked well.

Hence my questions about memory size and data collection capability.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rookie17
Yup, 2 Gig of data is more than plenty. With a sensible FPS and basic channels that could be a whole day of data on the water for me.

Not sure on your comment about any 12 year old could do it though. Knowing and understanding software is one thing, knowing and understanding what an engine needs to perform and stay healthy is something else. Even with a self learn feature, you still need an understanding of what is safe for your particular engine(s) with many of the parameters.

As good as the self learn feature may be, there is no way I would trust my engines 100% to some software developer hoping that he got his one's and zero's correct.
Self learn is no doubt a great tool, and could speed up the process. Personally for me, there is too much money in the engine compartment to trust it blindly. No matter how many times it worked well.

Hence my questions about memory size and data collection capability.
My comment about a 12yr old being able to tune a fuel curve with EFI was just to illustrate how simple it can be. Say you've got a a carb'd 540 and at WOT it goes pig rich between 3500rpm and 4500rpm. Do you make an air bleed change, jet, power valve, a combo? Then retest and see how it effected the rest of the curve and try to get it as close as possible. Now with EFI select the exact cells it's reading during that rpm, subtract 10 or 15% fuel as necessary and you're done. It won't effect the rest of the curve, you didn't have to spill fuel everywhere, you didn't even have to open the engine hatch. As far as the self learning feature, the best tuners in the world can't compete with a computer. A few years ago FAST went head to head with their auto tune vs. a couple of their own engineers on a dyno. After two pulls the auto tune had made 10 more average hp then the tuners could after a dozen pulls. In the engine masters challenge guys were letting engines that they'd developed tunes on for months self correct during the competition and were picking up hp. Land speed record attempts, self tuning for both runs, 3500hp twin turbo alcohol drag cars are self tuning down the track. To be afraid of this feature you'd have to be suspect of the entire system. The system runs in closed loop and corrects off of your base map. It shows the corrections on a separate table. You can load the corrections on to your base automatically or you can go in and make corrections manually based on the info provided in your learn table. It is a simplified version of the old way of overlaying histograms and doing some math. Once you've used it a couple times you'll never go back to the old slow ways..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.