EFI for everyone >

EFI for everyone

Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree in a general sense but not so sure about the "easy to use kits for enthusiasts" statement.

Some of the other manufacturers don't package their kits on purpose. Apart from some different applications needing different things, if an enthusiast cant determine which sensors he needs and create a package perhaps the EFI job is a little beyond their scope of ability. After all, that is the easiest part of all.

I guess I'm still a bit nervous for some people buying a "kit" and attempting to do the entire job in their garage at home. Although many may be capable, its the dealer's job to evaluate that they're not selling something that is beyond the scope of the customer and could get them in trouble.

None of this is difficult, and there is no smoke and voodoo, but it does require more understanding than changing your oil and basic maintenance. Lets be clear about that.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie17
I agree in a general sense but not so sure about the "easy to use kits for enthusiasts" statement.

Some of the other manufacturers don't package their kits on purpose. Apart from some different applications needing different things, if an enthusiast cant determine which sensors he needs and create a package perhaps the EFI job is a little beyond their scope of ability. After all, that is the easiest part of all.

I guess I'm still a bit nervous for some people buying a "kit" and attempting to do the entire job in their garage at home. Although many may be capable, its the dealer's job to evaluate that they're not selling something that is beyond the scope of the customer and could get them in trouble.

None of this is difficult, and there is no smoke and voodoo, but it does require more understanding than changing your oil and basic maintenance. Lets be clear about that.
I'm not so sure if certain manufacturers avoid selling "kits" to keep away amatuers BUT I agree someone with no clue could make a nice set of 8 or 16 ashtrays pretty fast if they decide to learn how to tune there own stuff by trial and error!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
That may be a true statement but just to bring this thread back on track.. It's titled "EFI For Everyone" not "the best ecm ever".

There are lots of excellent controllers out there but that doesn't make them easy to aquire, or user friendly. The 555 is great and I don't think I compared the Holley to it anywhere. However, the average Joe might not like paying up to $1000 for a reflash, or sending a box out and waiting 4 months to get it back.
MoTeC, ViPec, Megasquirt, etc. They're all great but they don't come in a kit you can order from Summitt or Jegs, they don't come packaged with every sensor and harness you need, they're not all waterproof and or USCG approved.
When you're talking about resolution, or sophistication, this kit is basically an excellent replacement for the MEFI 3's and 4's or for a guy wanting to get rid of his carb(s) with a ton of extra features to boot. MEFI can't even begin to compete with the Holley yet the MEFI is still good enough for Teagues 1300+hp engines and Eddie's, and other's too. So how good does it really need to be? I think when you get into individual cylinder mapping and the amount of testing and data acquisition that goes with it you're well past the "EFI for everyone" portion of the group. I'm excited about how available EFI is becoming for the marine market and I know lots of others are as well. I think the new marine XFI from FAST is gonna be great too because like Holley they package easy to use kits for enthusiasts. Happy St. Pats' everyone
I agree that the Holley is a good setup, I just feel EFI for everyone is somewhat scary. While some get by, it still takes a great deal of "know how" to work with EFI. If everything works perfect, then things go smoothly, but in a lot of cases, it does not. Just knowing that most cheap wide bands are .5 AF off from the real air fuel is perfect example. Tune for 12:1 and your really 12.5:1. Most SC'd motors are close to detonation at that air fuel through peak torque. Then you got spark advance, detonation, etc. and you can get over your head in no time. If someone, such as yourself sets the system up, with a good baseline tune, then thats a good start so someone can "fine tune" a setup.

NA is a lot easier than SC, as your typically not on the borderline of self destruction, but in a SC form, its not as easy as just picking a targeted AF and letting her go. I can't tell you how many systems I've worked on and I'll see the customers or tuners just turned the O2 correction on max and didn't even map the engine, but that never works long term. One is suppose to map the engine with zero correction, get it as close as one can be, and then use the O2 to just do a light amount of clean up. The one great thing I see is the table for controlling the O2 correction. I like this factor, as you can turn it off at the higher load levels and just clean up part throttle/low load.

Another note is that closed loop has serious issues at idle with many of the exhaust systems we run. So if you keep this in consideration, and have someone qualified set these systems up for the customers, along with some simple guidelines, then I think you have something that will work great.

As for waiting 4 months for a reflash, I don't know who does that, most do it in 1 day. Also, a reflash on a MEFI is $300, but if purchased in a system, its free.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
If everything works perfect, then things go smoothly, but in a lot of cases, it does not. Just knowing that most cheap wide bands are .5 AF off from the real air fuel is perfect example. Tune for 12:1 and your really 12.5:1. Most SC'd motors are close to detonation at that air fuel through peak torque.
What A/F ratio do you recommend for SC engines through the torque curve and peak HP?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
What A/F ratio do you recommend for SC engines through the torque curve and peak HP?
Aluminum head is usually 12:25 during WOT low to mid rpm and 12.0:1 @ WOT at higher rpm's. This is with pump gas, with leaded race fuel, usually take .50 AF away. This gives a decent margin.

Low load, cruising is usually 13:1, and progressively get richer with increased load/pressure.

Cast iron heads, add .75 to the air fuel.

This is just my rule of thumb, and using the best wide bands you can use. We always try to leave a little on the table for a "margin for error". All applications are different so there's always exceptions.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Registered

Haxby what do you think of the XFI Marine now that it is out? Compared to the Holley?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered

Default I like em chubby! 11.5

i LIKE EM CHUBBY 11.5 WITH HIGH BOOST, However cylinder head chamber design and pistons assist to that answer.
Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Aluminum head is usually 12:25 during WOT low to mid rpm and 12.0:1 @ WOT at higher rpm's. This is with pump gas, with leaded race fuel, usually take .50 AF away. This gives a decent margin.

Low load, cruising is usually 13:1, and progressively get richer with increased load/pressure.

Cast iron heads, add .75 to the air fuel.

This is just my rule of thumb, and using the best wide bands you can use. We always try to leave a little on the table for a "margin for error". All applications are different so there's always exceptions.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Questions for the wise ones on here.

Can the Holley efi drive more than one iac? I'm looking at converting my roots blower motors to efi using twin throttle bodies.

I'm open to suggestions on which injector plate and throttle bodies to use and is the holley ecm a good choice for this application?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

You might want to download the free software from a couple of the companies and see which one would work best for your application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.