Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
EFI for everyone >

EFI for everyone

Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 10-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Megasquirt is fun stuff. I installed a system on a boat a couple years ago and to date it is still running great.

Originally Posted by snapcracklepop
Well put, megasquirt isn't for everyone. I truly have no interest in this product. I just am proud that I was the first boat install. It's cool that a couple of senior automotive engineers / motor heads, thought it would be different if the new technology engines could have open Software development platforms. Anyone could add any performance parts and re-tune themselves. And they could have different maps for different conditions. There is credit due to Bowling and Grippo, I think they are the original guys. I built a twin turbo small block runnig 15 lbs thru a arneson. It was fun, especially with the hot tub over the engine room.
I think understanding a efi system has a lot to do with the mechanical part. You need to understand what the sensons are and what they do. If you can do that and understand performance engines, you can put your own efi together and save a bunch of money and future proof your system.
Holley and others make good plug and play systems for most people but I know there are a few on here that need flexibility and have the depth to explore.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
What did the megasquirt do that the Holley wouldn't?
Three words, open source code.
The system is very versatile. I have read threads on the MS forums where guys are trying to get it to run a diesel. The only reason that they haven't figured it out yet is because gas injectors and diesel injectors operate completely different. Given enough time someone will figure it out. I HIGHLY doubt that Holley will give you the source code to their box so you could try to get it to work on a diesel
Old 10-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
Three words, open source code.
The system is very versatile. I have read threads on the MS forums where guys are trying to get it to run a diesel. The only reason that they haven't figured it out yet is because gas injectors and diesel injectors operate completely different. Given enough time someone will figure it out. I HIGHLY doubt that Holley will give you the source code to their box so you could try to get it to work on a diesel
I agree there is some very nice software available for tuning/programming the MS stuff and it's an incredibly capable system. Do you still need to build your own board or can you get a pre built one yet? How many different MS components/boxes would you need to run coil on plug, 16 injectors, meth injection, boost control, drive by wire, 10 O2's, 8 egt's, multiple rev limits, dual knock sensors, and throw in some programmable IO's, 2GB of datalogging and four stages of dry nitrous with progressive control? Will it do all that for 1/2 the price, and how many hours on average do you think it would take to put that together? I don't know much about it honestly because I could never install it on a customers boat due to the fact it's not Coast Guard compliant.

My question to Rob was directly related to his turbo LS deal as I was genuinely interested in what the Holley couldn't do that he needed.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Registered

I run a Holley Dominator on my single turbo street car, makes around 2k horse, perfect system. Since I throw on my money in my car, I don't have much money for the boat. This winter I am upgrading to EFI, using TPI Intakes off the old Camaros, along with the Microsquirt EFI. With everything said and done, I can do both engines for around 1200$ including O2 sensors, intakes, pumps, computers. I have ran FAST before, Holley, and Megasquirt, I like the Holley the most but its not worth 3k just to have options I won't ever use in a 400hp motor.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Default efi

We run em all, I guess when we sell em all, we end up runnin em all. Our dyno has about every harness available hanging from the top to test and map all these fun systems. Its amazing how they all have something better or different then each other. We will be releasing a new system soon that should make the marine mfg's real comfortable. Have a great Holiday all!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boostpower
We will be releasing a new system soon that should make the marine mfg's real comfortable. Have a great Holiday all!
ballpark pricing?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
What did the megasquirt do that the Holley wouldn't?
we are running the stock LS engine sensors and coil packs, all techs I talked to said no way would work with their stuff...now I don't know if it would or not...but the cost was unreal by the time I would have gotten all the parts to make it run...also we data log every pass, control boost, H20 injection, launch RPM, trans shift, and the ability to fine tune timing, boost, fuel at any given RPM is unreal...now other probably do the same thing..can't answer that....working on the boat setup now, going use the smaller mega squirt as don't need all the things that we are using in the race car...but again to spec timing and fuel @ any RPM should be a HUGE help on a boat...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
we are running the stock LS engine sensors and coil packs, all techs I talked to said no way would work with their stuff...now I don't know if it would or not...but the cost was unreal by the time I would have gotten all the parts to make it run...also we data log every pass, control boost, H20 injection, launch RPM, trans shift, and the ability to fine tune timing, boost, fuel at any given RPM is unreal...now other probably do the same thing..can't answer that....working on the boat setup now, going use the smaller mega squirt as don't need all the things that we are using in the race car...but again to spec timing and fuel @ any RPM should be a HUGE help on a boat...
I can't imagine anyone from Holley telling you that it wouldn't work with an LS based engine. The LS platform, and market, was a major consideration when the new systems were being designed, and the Dominator has more LS specific features then anything else. It will plug into all the factory sensors, run factory or aftermarket coil packs, drive by wire throttle body, and control a 4l60 or 4l80 trans. The same ecm will run boost control, traction control, time and load based timing maps, individual cylinder timing and fuel, multiple O2 sensors (we're running ten on the dyno), egts, very high resolution datalogging, dual programmable knock sensors, progressive nitrous, meth injection, multiple rev limits, multiple maps for street or track, control your fans, fuel pumps, etc. The software is incredibly simple, tech support is great, and the system responds fast enough to run 1000hp worth of dry nitrous in closed loop. All that for about 2k seems like a good value to me.

The Holley unit is also fully potted, water and shock proof, has oem quality harness with water tight connections, and is US Coast Guard certified so there's no insurance issues..

I'm sure the Megasquirt is working well for you, just want to keep the Facts straight about the Holley system.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Alex,
I'm very excited to run the Holley Hp system. Tuning fuel/spark for mid efficientcy and top end power will be awesome. Thank you for working with me on this. Payment is on the way.
Regards,
Jon Beck
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex, don't doubt what you are saying..but I did talk to one of there guys at length...now info from people is a crapshoot it seems as I could not believe what I was hearing from the different people I spoke to...every one said it would not work for a different reason ??? now I will say that I have about $750 in all the stuff to run mine....so far so good...well except for the RFI interfearance we are working on...thanks again for your help !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.