Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertRage
Alex,
I made it on the water this weekend for the first time and my engine runs incredibly well! Thank you for the First-Class help in my 4500 Carb to Holley EFI / DIS conversion. I’ve joined the 21st century and will never be interested in a carb or distributor again… The Base map you setup for me starts and idles great. It truly is incredible. The RPM doesn’t even fluctuate 50rpm when going in and out of gear, hot or cold. I ran up to my local lake for a quick water test and then headed 2.5hrs away to a 6000’ lake and the EFI didn’t hesitate once. The AFR numbers were spot on the entire weekend.

This software / hardware package is the real deal. I couldn’t be happier!

My engine is a healthy AFR335 / solid roller / 6500rpm engine. Bob Madara supplied a fantastic induction package, that now idles as well as my stock 496mag used to but runs 29mph faster.

Thank you both for the very professional help you have offered!
Jon Beck
Thanks Jon, your motor looks incredible! Did you get many hours on it this year? Have any issues? After the initial set up, I almost never hear from my customers again. I think that's a good thing? Lol
I was thinking of starting a seperate thread just for user feedback, tuning and set up tips, etc.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and have asked "the Haxor" a lot of questions. I finally got to see the Holley EFI in action and all I can say is WOW. I am a truly a real moron (Mike T can vouch for that) and I was able to understand it fairly quick. It is amazing how easy it is.

I am a believer and got a feeling those carbs are history...and I won't be married to Alex in the future. WooHoo! (That is in no way an insult to you Alex, I will need some support and good pricing - please)
Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Thanks Jon, your motor looks incredible! Did you get many hours on it this year? Have any issues? After the initial set up, I almost never hear from my customers again. I think that's a good thing? Lol
I was thinking of starting a seperate thread just for user feedback, tuning and set up tips, etc.
Thanks Alex,
You're correct about not hearing back from your customers. They are busy enjoying their boats!
I ended up with around 15 hours on the Holley EFI last year. It never gave me a single problem, was always turn key. After the initial TB blade, TPS and crank trigger setup I never touched it again. I haven't even plugged the laptop back into it... It ran over a wide range of elevation, Flaming Gorge Ut @ 6000' to Lake Havasu Az @ 600'. I have a Holley dash mounted AFR gauge and the numbers were always great, so there wasn't anything to mess with.

I'd love to see you start a separate thread for feedback and tuning tips. I do want to set some safeties like an over coolant temp or low oil pressure, secondary rev limiter. The transducers are already installed.

Here's a pic of one of my Havasu runs. Not bad for an N/A engine! A good friend of mine will be calling you very soon. He's tired of changing jets and touchy cold starts with his 548ci...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]515930[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails EFI for everyone-havasu-speedo.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

has anyone used the EZ EFI on here? i just read about one used with a edelbrock tunnel ram with good results. it looked like a stock mag engine and they used a spacer for the O2 sensor on stock exhaust. it seems to be the cheapest and simple setups i have looked at, i have been reading about efi all day!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Registered

hmmm, no one? i cant be the only one looking into this stuff am i?

ok so i have figured out that the down fall to the EZ EFI is that it does not control spark. i currently run a thunderbolt distributor with a crane hi-6m box that has all of the advance curves programmed into it. i am pretty confident that the EZ EFI can work, my question is what do i have to gain if i went to the Holley HP with ignition control? my build is a 489/496 stroker build that will be naturally aspirated and i have no plans of boosting it, i am using a Holley MPI intake, rails, throttle body and pump from the commander setup i currently have on the shelf.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by regalman4925
ok so i have figured out that the down fall to the EZ EFI is that it does not control spark. i currently run a thunderbolt distributor with a crane hi-6m box that has all of the advance curves programmed into it. i am pretty confident that the EZ EFI can work, my question is what do i have to gain if i went to the Holley HP with ignition control?
Ignition control will help starting, maintain a stable idle, offer knock protection and advance/retard timing over elevation changes. I wouldn't even consider adding efi with out timing control, you would be missing out on all these great features.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

has anyone used the EZ EFI on here? i just read about one used with a edelbrock tunnel ram with good results. it looked like a stock mag engine and they used a spacer for the O2 sensor on stock exhaust. it seems to be the cheapest and simple setups i have looked at, i have been reading about efi all day!
I'm not sure about the later versions, but the early version had almost no tune-ability and could not run open loop, you could not really adjust cold start, accell enrichment, coolant temp offset, no safety's, etc. If you're diving into efi on a boat for the first time, then you want to make it as easy as possible for yourself. The Holley HP will do everything you need, and will plug into what you have already. If you buy it through me, you also get free tech support, a base tune, and remote tuning if necessary, and it'll still be cheaper then Summit. I think if you PM any of my customers on here, they will tell you those services can come in handy. Heck, even if you buy it somewhere else I'll still help you out, or one of the users on here will. There's no tuning "secrets" with the Holley system.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I'm not sure about the later versions, but the early version had almost no tune-ability and could not run open loop, you could not really adjust cold start, accell enrichment, coolant temp offset, no safety's, etc. If you're diving into efi on a boat for the first time, then you want to make it as easy as possible for yourself. The Holley HP will do everything you need, and will plug into what you have already. If you buy it through me, you also get free tech support, a base tune, and remote tuning if necessary, and it'll still be cheaper then Summit. I think if you PM any of my customers on here, they will tell you those services can come in handy. Heck, even if you buy it somewhere else I'll still help you out, or one of the users on here will. There's no tuning "secrets" with the Holley system.
ok so this may be a stupid question, the Hp is supposed to be a self tuning setup like the EZ EFI, atomic... you say i still need a base tune? if i still need a base tune to start with couldn't i just stick with the commander 950 computer that i already have? i have read on several threads that if i do not have a radical cam then the ignition control is not a very big deal. the cam i will be running is a crane 731. sorry, for all of the questions, i want to understand what i am doing and purchasing before i dive too far into this. i am in the homework phase of the project if that makes any sense lol
Old 02-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

ok so this may be a stupid question, the Hp is supposed to be a self tuning setup like the EZ EFI, atomic... you say i still need a base tune? if i still need a base tune to start with couldn't i just stick with the commander 950 computer that i already have? i have read on several threads that if i do not have a radical cam then the ignition control is not a very big deal. the cam i will be running is a crane 731. sorry, for all of the questions, i want to understand what i am doing and purchasing before i dive too far into this. i am in the homework phase of the project if that makes any sense lol
Any EFI system needs a base tune to start with so the computer knows what it's supposed to be doing. You can load a generic base tune that comes with the software, or you can start with a tune that is specific to your combination and application. The commander 950 is a very old system, it's wide band control and correction are slower, and it is physically a much more time consuming system to set up and tune correctly. If you're not interested in timing control, then I would recommend just getting a good carburetor from Nickerson, Pro-Systems, etc.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Registered

you say go back to a carb, the EZ EFI if i am reading this all correctly just needs to have a few questions answered on the hand held and then it uses the O2 sensor to get the correct air fuel ratio. would this not be better than a carb? school me on the holley 950 setup, they advertise plug and play on their website. so, i order a setup from you, i hook all of the harness and computer into my setup, at that point what is required from me to get this running correctly? maybe i am reading this all wrong but i was under the assumption that this auto tunes itself at this point? again, forgive my questions if they seem silly, i am wanting to understand all off this 100%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.