EFI for everyone >

EFI for everyone

Notices

EFI for everyone

Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a sweet SBC setup Hax.

An Injected closed cooled SBC is tricky and only a few really have a turnkey package and it looks like you are one of them.

Very clean.

Whose exhaust manifold is that in the pict?

Uncle Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Thats a sweet SBC setup Hax.

An Injected closed cooled SBC is tricky and only a few really have a turnkey package and it looks like you are one of them.

Very clean.

Whose exhaust manifold is that in the pict?

Uncle Dave
They look like imco powerflow
Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
They look like imco powerflow
Thats what hey look like to me as well (I have a set on my SBC but polished)

great product.

UD
Old 12-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+2 for Bob
Originally Posted by Griswald
+1 for Bob
Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

There is also the issue of injector firing timing, When running at full rpm you may be running the injectors at 80% duty cycle which causes some puddling of fuel before the intake opens
Just use bigger injectors so you have more head room to avoid the 80% duty cycle issue.

Just because you can get an engine to run and idle with a MEFI 1 doesn't mean it's anywhere near optimized.. What happens next year if he decides to bolt on a supercharger?
I know you aren't knocking me personally, but after hauling my engine out, rebuilding it, and modifying the base tune, I can assure you this motor runs very well with solid and stable AFR's through out the rpm band. I would say it is very optimized.

I am also very aware of the limitations of MEFI 1 and blower applications and would never try to use it in such a manner.

You have to realize that for my particular application, it would have been cost prohibitive to buy an entirely new system (like the Holley, which I did look at BTW prior to embarking on this project). So by using the MEFI 1 I had, it's wiring harness, and all the other stuff, all I had to do was get some software and dial the boat in on my time and at my pace. I found it to be quite enjoyable.

Lets review the MEFI tuning process. You've got one guy driving the boat, one guy laying on the floor at 80+ mph with a laptop and a separate wideband controller watching Air fuel and MAP. Then you stop, download the calibration from your MEFI, open tuner pro, select the proper xdf, load the downloaded cal, make some changes, upload the file back into the MEFI which is sloooow, start the boat, run it again trying to duplicate the previous conditions so you know the changes you made were good, and repeat.
Haxby, I too am not knocking the Holley system or your expertise, but while the information you describe above may be factual, you're description plays with the truth a little.

A second person isn't absolutely necessary. It helps but isn't necessary. Plug one USB from the MEFI into the laptop and one USB from the wide band. Both could be viewed and logged real time. I also had a wide band gauge installed. In essence the laptop became my 'second person'.

Second, you can have MEFI Burn, Tuner Pro, Scanner Pro all opened up and running at the same time. No need to open and close them all the time.

Third, the proper xdf file is already in place when you opened the program. No need to continually load the xdf. You don't have to download the cal each time either. Just once. Make changes and upload the changed file. MEFI 1 loads (upload and download) very quickly. Takes about 2 seconds. I do understand MEFI 3 is a PITA time-wise. That would grow old real fast.

Here's a screen shot of a MEFI1 fuel map. What do you do if you want to tune past 5200pm?...
The 5200 rpm limit is an issue for MEFI 1. Having said that, with proper tuning at the upper cells I have found the AFR to remain stable as the motor leaves the upper rpm bounds. Is this ideal? Absolutely not. Does it work? Yes. I've been wanting to play around with changing the cell parameters in the MEFI 1 to try increase the rpm band but haven't gotten around to it. I don't believe it will work, but may give it a try one of these days.

I am in total agreement that the Holley system is a slick, eloquent approach and easier to tune with a broad host of options. If starting from scratch I would go that route.

If I had a MEFI system on hand and not a lot of disposable cash I would not hesitate to use the MEFI. It is robust and works.

Anybody have extra cash blowing around so I can start a big block EFI project?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats what hey look like to me as well (I have a set on my SBC but polished)

great product.

UD
Agreed!

I was a bit confused because mine have more water connections then those in the picture but they are definetly imco
Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered

I'd love to take my 406 from carb to injection.

The Holley seems really nice Im impressed.
- but the Inglese looks cooler and "may" be superior.

Its really hard to get a solid price quote from the engine guys on a turnkey switch-over.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails EFI for everyone-406-rear.jpg  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
I know you aren't knocking me personally
Certainly not, I have respect for anyone who gets in there and tunes their own stuff, but.... Comparing a MEFI 1 to the new Holley system is like comparing a typewriter to a laptop. All the MEFI systems are perfectly functional and there's ways to make them work; I just don't feel they're anywhere near as user friendly as the Holley system and that's what this thread is about. EFI for everyone. The MEFI 1 isn't locked so it's pretty easy to adjust the base tune. With the MEFI 3, unless you can get the access code you'll need to erase the controller and start from scratch. I guess you can get a base tune from Bob and start tuning from there. I personally wouldn't want to do a WOT pass on a base tune without someone watching the AFR live time. A different injector flow rate, different fuel pressure, or many other things could cause it to go lean and eat itself up before you even know what's happening. Also, the harnesses are getting older and I've chased down lots of gremlins in the wiring and connectors over the years, even lost a motor 'cause of one connection. So let's say you want to make some engine upgrades and you don't want to mess around with the old MEFI 3. You head down to GM buy a MEFI4a and harness for $600, then you get MEFI Burn so you can tune it, that's $595 for the base version or $1895 for a more advanced version, then all you need is a wideband controller, that's $600ish for one that will read rpm and MAP so you can use it to datalog, then you hook it all up to your computer and start tuning a ten year old ecu with ten year old software that has none of the excellent features I've previously mentioned, and it costs more!..

I'm not selling these things, I have no hidden agenda. It's a great product, and a great value, and I wanted to share my experiences with it to whoever's interested.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to take my 406 from carb to injection.

The Holley seems really nice Im impressed.
- but the Inglese looks cooler and "may" be superior.

Its really hard to get a solid price quote from the engine guys on a turnkey switch-over.

Uncle Dave
Dave, you can get any intake you want and run it with the Holley system. I just finished this one.
Attached Thumbnails EFI for everyone-holleydomls1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1770 (1).MOV (1.84 MB, 91 views)
Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Dave, you can get any intake you want and run it with the Holley system. I just finished this one.
School me.. I know nothing about aftermaket EFI

Does the Holly system control ignition curves and timing as well or just fuel?

Do they all control ingition now as well or are some units one or the other?

Pretty pleased with the way this mill runs (see pict of Ilmor 710) and Id like to bring the other mill into this century but 500 HP seems to be a tipping point for sizing of components.

Oh... are those senn dure parts in your cooling system?

Thanks and sorry for the "new guy" questions.

UD
Attached Thumbnails EFI for everyone-dsc05612.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.