Notices

Pre-Oiler

Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have a Masterlube accumulator on my boat, and I love it. I use it for pre-oiling and as an accumulator when I'm in really rough water, it helps prevent pump cavitation. After spending over $10k on rebuilding my motor, it's cheap insurance.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I have a Masterlube accumulator on my boat, and I love it. I use it for pre-oiling and as an accumulator when I'm in really rough water, it helps prevent pump cavitation. After spending over $10k on rebuilding my motor, it's cheap insurance.
My Masterlube does not work like it used to. Even when it is empty, it reads 30lbs of pressure. It worked very well for about 5 years. I would try the one with the electric motor. After the accumulator is empty on the Masterlube, that's it. You can't get oil back into it until the engine starts. When you change your engine oil with the Masterlube installed, a lot of old oil is still in the accumulator. You would have to drain those manually, fill them back up half way, then re-pressure it up to 80 PSI. My engines are being redone and I am debating to put the Masterlube back on. I would just crank the engine without starting it to get oil circulating.

Last edited by UrbanDisturbance; 01-23-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanna see the post that comes after "I was holding the rubber plug in and....."
Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

So what would be an inexpensive, yet effective way of pre oilimg the motor before a post winter start up. Pull all the spark plugs and put a squirt of oil in the cylinder? Maybe un-plugging the cpu and turning the motor over to build some pressure?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
I wanna see the post that comes after "I was holding the rubber plug in and....."
i thought EXACTLY the same thing......
Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
My Masterlube does not work like it used to. Even when it is empty, it reads 30lbs of pressure. It worked very well for about 5 years. I would try the one with the electric motor. After the accumulator is empty on the Masterlube, that's it. You can't get oil back into it until the engine starts. When you change your engine oil with the Masterlube installed, a lot of old oil is still in the accumulator. You would have to drain those manually, fill them back up half way, then re-pressure it up to 80 PSI. My engines are being redone and I am debating to put the Masterlube back on. I would just crank the engine without starting it to get oil circulating.
Masterlubes have a lifetime warranty, I would call them, they are great to work with. The charge empty should be 50% of your running oil pressure. If you don't have the solenoid then you have an accumulator, not pre-oiler. Mine always drains completely, it sounds like yours might not be mounted correctly. Check their site they have complete instructions on installation and mounting.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Made my on pre-luber/oil change pump set up.

Used poly bodied triple diaphragm pump (Grainger) with built in pressure switch (20 psi on to 40 pis off), piped it into the lines with a check valve so that when the engine oil pump kicks in, it shuts the check valve (the pump has it's own check valve but I want double protection). Boat sits for sometimes 4 weeks, just switch the pump on for a couple of minutes, turn key switch to "on", watch oil pressure gauge cycle between 20 to 40, bump the starter to rotate cam and close valves that were open and open valves that were closed so all the lifters get pumped up. Let it sit for another minute or two, then start it up! little to no lifter noise, engine oil pump builds to real pressure, then I just switch off the pre-lube pump. Since pumps are not CG approved, have them mounted under rear bench and 1/2 inch oil lines running back to the engines. Put in quick connect fitting on discharge side of each line and oil changes are rapid.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
I would just crank the engine without starting it to get oil circulating.
+1
Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Registered

So just unplug the main cpu and bump the motor a few times?

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
+1
Old 01-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

$700 with no end fittings. Too much. Others for less

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.