Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water in my cylinders from rain >

Water in my cylinders from rain

Notices

Water in my cylinders from rain

Old 06-19-2002, 10:04 AM
chris miller

Default Water in my cylinders from rain

I have a brand new engine with the hatch removed and I removed my flame arrestor to clean and when I removed the cover the water must have entered the carberator. The first signwas only a bump when I tried to start the motor. Hydraoulically loced condition. I then removed the spark plugs and water came pouring out of 2 cylinders about 1/2 cup each. bumping the motor coused more water to come out. Looking for the next step. I read an artical in performace boating that called for the following.
Drain the oil out. Refill with fresh oil and top off with one can in each head gummout motor flush. one teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and replace plugs. Run for a few minutes and shut off. I would then change the oil again. I have an oil drain line on the bottom of my oil pan thank god and can get most out.

What is the next step. Should I run and change the oil again with gummout? I know others have had water in there engine from sinking / faulty exhaust.
I want to save my investment without pullin the engine.

Water + engine = Bad

Thanks

Old 06-19-2002, 10:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound like a good plan to me.
I'd certenly change the oil and squirt some into the cylinders to prevent rust the crank it over, without the spark plugs installed. Not sure if the gumout is needed, I cant see why unless the entire motor was submerged.
If the boat is useable I'd launch it and run it for a while to evaporate any extra water. If not run it on the hose and fog it.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not like the idea of turning it over with oil in the cylinders. However everythign else makes sence. I have heard of people puting ATF in the engine as I hear it sokes up water. However I think if you fire it off ASAP you will be ok.

Jon
Old 06-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently got water in a cylinder from a bad exhaust manifold.

1) take out all spark plugs and turn over for about 2-3 seconds. to get all water out of cylinders.

2) Drain oil and take old filter off.

3) Refilled with 20-50w (inexpensive stuff from Discount Auto Parts or NAPA) and install inexpensive oil filter.

4) Start motor and let idle for a few minutes 4-5.
(KEEP AN EYE ON OIL PRESSURE)
5) Redrain all the oil and remove filter.

6) Install high quality oil (Valvoline or whatever you like)
and new high quality oil filter.
P.s.- I always substitute a 1/2 quart of oil for Lucas
have had great results with it.

Start motor again and let idle for 2 minutes and check oil again.
It should clean as a whistle and running ok.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove the plugs and push the water out. Squirt some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders. Drain the oil. Refill the oil leaving it about a half gallon low. Pour diesel in both valve covers. Let it drain into the oil, then fire up the engine and let it run for 5 minutes. Drain the oil and refill. I just did this exact procedure on an engine that I was working on. Cleaned out all the water.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 990 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally posted by cuda
Pour diesel in both valve covers. Let it drain into the oil, then fire up the engine and let it run for 5 minutes. Drain the oil and refill. I just did this exact procedure on an engine that I was working on. Cleaned out all the water.
You ran the engine with diesel in it??? I was told not to. hmmmm

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Banned

I was told to by my father. He taught diesel mechanics in the Navy and at Cummins. Diesel has a lot of lubricating qualities, besides, he is the smartest man I ever met.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The biggest thing is that you need to get the engine lit, so that you can evaporate the water that's sitting in your rings. The sooner that you can do this, the better. After 24 hours things are going to start to rust, and that's not good.

Last edited by Cord; 06-19-2002 at 05:12 PM.