Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Tinker is right on.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kaamacat!

Whats been going on with your engine. Had a chance to look at it again?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ron
Old 07-22-2002, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does thay saying go "It takes a big moron to admit their mistakes...." or something like that.

Well, after checking the wires, pulling the timing cover, checking the movement of every valvetrain component, taking the distributor apart (totally)........here we go.

I put it all back together, sounds a bit better but right when you drop to 1500 it starts to "cough/sneeze". (honestly). Got mad thinking this ain't right, its something simple. Went to check it again Saturday.................

.....followed each plug wire up to the left side loom, 1-3-5-7. Then checked the order on the cap. 1 3 5 7 ......All this and I guess i'm just blind or need to take my glasses to the boat.

5 and 7 were switched on the cap.

Here is the best part. I switch 5 and 7 back to "normal", just touch the key and literally cant stop the motor from starting. GREAT NEWS........NOW GET THIS.......I crank the enging just a few times so I can repaint the tdc on the balancer (and remember I said that NOW the damn thing starts almost by looking at it). Later in the day I go to adjust the timing and hear a nasty noise, from all of the problems the damn starter gear split. So guess Im off to the rebuild shop today.

So, what, 1month later, broken tools (and some new ones), countless bruises and some good old american blood, it was when i put on the new ignition stuff this season.

Bob 18436572 KaamaCat
Old 07-22-2002, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You see I told you it was timed correctly! The biggest myth in engine assembly is that when you install the cam with the marks aligned the distributor is firing number one. Its not really that big a deal because who stabs a distributor with the timing cover off to see the marks anyway? Just rotate the engine untill you feel compression comming out of the #1 spark plug hole then keep going until the balancer reads 0 then stab at #1 cylinder.

Im glad it was something minor. Its probably good you broke the starter gear while working on the boat and not on the water. Good luck and go run that thing.

So Tinker, Lee, and Bluethunder who is right now!

Ron