Whipple install ?'s >

Whipple install ?'s

Notices

Whipple install ?'s

Old 06-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what about inconnel exhaust valves

are these needed on this type of set up. If it was me I would, just for the sercuity. I dropped and exhaust valve many years ago and it ain't pretty. A different set up though. I also have a Simrek drive shower. It is made to fit an Imco 2" shortie. Work and looks great.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=26113
Old 06-25-2002, 09:31 AM
Registered

Thanks for the offer Shane, I may call you. Is that a day time
# or evening time?
MIKEHTMSR24, I pm'd you. I have a question about your drive shower because I can't get to the picture. OSO say's I don't have rights to see it. Is it the halo or the one that wraps over the top. If it is the one that wraps over the top does it only have 1 or 2 holes for spraying water? I need the type that goes over the top so it will fit with my WPM steering. The holes are already drilled.

You are probably right about the valves. I should also probably change head gaskets, but I am going to wait. I talked to Bruce and he said that I should wait and do the upgrades to it as a winter project. We don't boat in salt water, which isn't quit as hard on them. I know a couple of people that didn't do the upgrades and they have been runnig good for 4 years, so hopefully my luck is as good.

Thanks,
Old 06-25-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

Thumbs up pic of my drive shower

Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2002, 12:26 PM
Registered

Default The drive shower

The whole story:

It has two water pickup with the 90* pickups
It has two mounting holes on the top mounting bracket. I used the one farest from the tube.
It has 7 water outlet holes. 3 in the top and 2 on each side.

Sorry I didn't have a pic of the shower on my 2" Imco shortie.

This shower is cut down to fit Imco's 2" shortie. Model of shower is Summit. It has the new style 90 degree water pick up ports. The only thing you will have to do is drill one hole on the Imco cavatation plate like the one on the port side of the plate. I sold my shortie and new owner didn't need shower. Going with a SC drive which has it's own shower system. Half price. $60.00 includes shipping to any of the 48 states.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.... I was just on www.sterndrives.com looking at service bulletins......
Mercruiser has service bulletin # 00-8 for replacing Bravo's with XR's, etc. They say it requires you to change the transom brackets also !!! Don't want to be a stick in the mud, but best to look at this notice before you install the new drive!
I had my "dump" out the side on my former boat, and out the back on the current one. I liked the side better.... a constant quick check of impellor condition as well as intercooler blockage. The Simrek shower dumps more than enough water on the drive to cool it, just ask Paul from Simrek....the intercooler output is insignificant for that!!
Removing the thermostat will not only make the engine run cooler, oil temp will decrease also. water pressure will also drop some, but not a lot..... you can add a restrictor plate, but it will raise temp's also. I have done both and ended up leaving the plates out......
GOOD LUCK & hope you get done for LOTO>
Old 06-26-2002, 06:15 PM
Registered

MIKEHTMSR24, That's what I need & that's what I have. But mine is not cut down yet, so I will buy yours and sell mine to one of my buddies. PM or e-mail me your address and phone # and I can get you some $$$. The only thing is, I will need it by the end of next week.

blown formula, Good catch on the drive bulletin.
I'm not sure what you mean by (transom brackets), It say's to use a magnum or Hi-Proformance transom. So, what do I have. Marc from BAM is supposed to send me a new bearing with the drive as well as some limiters for the tilt cylinders. I will have to ask him about this. Thanks for all your input on the water dump and the restrictor.

I haven't decided what to do with the dump yet. I will figure it out tonight. Every thing is going together very well, it's just time consuming. It looks like we have all of the hard stuff done and now we just need to hook up some vacuum lines and bolt the whipple on, along with the fuel lines and wires to the throttle body. A friend on the board (sdelim25) is helping out and making it go faster.
If anyone has any info for his boat it would be appriciated as well. He has a 496, but the whipple isn't out yet so he is looking for someone who has tried a procharger.

Thanks guy's
Old 06-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Registered

Default address and phone #

Mike Parks
10 Seminole Dr.
Simpsonville, SC 29680
work call between 7 to 7:30 am EST or 3:30 to 4 pm EST
( You can call and leave a message anytime) 864-967-1728
I will be on vacation after this fri afternoon and won't be back home until 7/9/02

[email protected]

What is your address and I can ship it tom.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:06 AM
Registered

The install is done and the only thing left to do is run the wire to the dash and hookup the warning light and possibly adjust the fuel pressure on the adjustable regulator.

Does anyone know why the fuel pressure fluctuates with the vortech adjustable, or is the problem something else. The fuel pressure bounces between about 45 - 50 at idle. then as you throttle up it fluctuates at 38-41 rapidly

Mike I will send the check out today (Friday). I will have you send it to my work. the address is;
Golden West Technologies
Rockie Nikkila
2727 North Plaza Dr.
Rapid City, SD 57702
Old 06-28-2002, 03:56 PM
Registered

FYI for those interested. I talked to Dustin about the fuel pressure on the Vortec regulator and the reason it is fluctuating is because I have the vacuum line hooked to it. Maybe I missed something when I read the instuctions, but I don't remember it saying that. Anyway I will try that this weekend and see if I can get it adjusted properly.

MIKEHTMSR24, the check's in the mail.
Sounds like some of my boat part experiences (parts are in the mail), then you call back a week later and they haven't been sent yet.
Trust me This one is definitely in the mail.

I will be at the lake testing for the weekend.
More updates later. Everyone have a good and safe weekend!
Old 07-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Registered

Weekend update, I borrowed a 28P Bravo and it comes on plan great, so I think I might be able to use it.
I still have somethings to work out. The auxillary fuel pressure was 30 PSI. I talked to Dustin and he had me dead head the pump to see if the pressure came up and it did, but then dropped once power was removed from the pump. I just used visgrips to get the pressure up for testing. Dustin is going to send me both, pump and regulator to see which is bad.

The problem with my stock fuel pressure was I forgot to install the spring when I installed the vortec. I saw it sitting on my work bench and the lights went on.

The spark plugs look like I just pulled them out of the package. It is running super lean, so I didn't run it much. I tried running at idle, 2000, 3000 RPM and the plug never had any color. I sent both of the computers to Dustin for programing. Hopefully he will get them back to me by Wed. for more testing.

I took it up to 4000 RPM once for about 10 seconds with the 28P and I had alot of throttle left. That put me at 70MPH WAAAHOOO this baby is going to rock & roll when I get some gas to it so I don't burn it up. I'm still waiting for my new drive from Marc. He did get the parts to put it together, now he just needs to find the time. It is all paid for, so maybe they can get to it this week.

I'm not going to take it out again until I get the new drive on it. It's to tempting to hit the throttle. My water pressure is way to low also, but the LWP should remedy that. I could probably fix that, but I don't want to rip the drive apart anyway.

More updates when available.