How much $ for a rebuilt 7.4/454 merc.? >

How much $ for a rebuilt 7.4/454 merc.?

Notices

How much $ for a rebuilt 7.4/454 merc.?

Old 06-26-2002, 10:11 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 509 Posts

Jason, you are absolutly right, but it also depends on what type of water you get in there as well!! When i was in the Keys about two years ago the intake gasket blew on the engine right at the end of the trip. Got the milk shake and couldnt clean out the engine completely. (Looking back at it i should have filled the entire engine up with diesel but i wasnt thinking about it cause i was pissed about it.) Any way...we get back to Chicago and pull the engine and have it back at the machine shop all within 3days time.....let me tell ya, Salt water works its destructive magic very fast!!! The crank was shot but i think that was due to the bearing going south. No room for a re-grind. Rods pitted. Heads were salvagable but the whole valve train was almost rusted solid!!! Pistons had to be pounded out! Its was a mess to say the least!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-26-2002, 10:59 AM
DanL

hey, Gameover, your mailbox is full. Email me [email protected]

Old 06-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been getting an unexpected many pm's lately, but it should be empty now. I'll send you an email just in case.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:34 AM
cdaddygreg@aol.

Unhappy

Well, I got the estimate back. Ouch! Piston rod on port-side #6 snapped and shredded the piston. piston arm rubbed a nice set of grooves in the block. Impact depression on heads, though they did pass a pressure test.

Total cost to repair $4,830!!!!!!!

Mechanic told me we were replacing block with one he had in house and heads he already had as well. Block being redone .030 over as well as heads at machine shop. This work is costing $2600 of the total, sounds a little steep for used block and heads...! I don't think it should be that much since we are putting all the old(mostly) parts from my engine back on this block.$875 to dis-reassemble engine, the rest is misc. like install and removal of engine etc. Could have probably found a whole engine for less money.

I would really like some feedback on costs and questions for the mechanic.

Thanks, Greg

Old 07-05-2002, 11:49 PM
Bo Knows

Just bought a reman 454 / 330 long block from Marine Engines Inc. today for $ 2579.00. Good people to do business with. I'm installing engine tomorrow. I'll let you know how it runs.

Bo

Old 07-06-2002, 04:37 AM
cdaddygreg@aol.

Thanks Bo! I will be watching for a reply on the install results.

Greg

Old 07-07-2002, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot of people pull the 7.4 330 and upgrade to a 502 derivitive. There are plenty used low hour motors out there. Kook has one for sale with 83 hours. Look around.

Ron
Old 07-07-2002, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cdaddygreg.........which place in town is doing the work? (If I might ask).........also, is it already a "done deal" with respects to having the work done at this shop?
Old 07-08-2002, 12:04 AM
cdaddygreg@aol.

Tony Garrison at Merlin Marine in Buford is doing the work. It took 30 days to get a diag. and a few more days for an estimate. He is supposedly having a used block and heads machined for me but I have NOT given any money. I feel like I'm being taken a little with being continually put off and now I feel over charged as well.

I'm thinkin about taking the boat to Fountain Dealership and having a crate motor put in, then telling Tony to shove the other one!

My sense of doin right keeps stopping me, but this IS getting rediculous!

I would be glad to hear what some of you would do.

Greg