Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How much $ for a rebuilt 7.4/454 merc.? >

How much $ for a rebuilt 7.4/454 merc.?

Notices

How much $ for a rebuilt 7.4/454 merc.?

Old 06-23-2002, 05:38 PM
cdaddygreg@aol.

Question How much $ for a rebuilt 7.4/454 merc.?

I may have blown my port-side motor in my '88 fountain. It's a 29' w/twin 454's.it may not be terminal, won't know 'til Mon. hopefully not but i'm trying to prep myself just in case. I want know how much a rebuilt fresh 454 should go for. The current motors are totally stock with about 430 hrs. on them. I'm only really trying to match up the new and old motor, plan on trading for a newer model next spring, so upgrading really isn't necessary. If anyone can help or point me to an inexpensive source for a motor I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Greg
[email protected]

Old 06-23-2002, 05:49 PM
supercrash

I got one out of S.Carolina..I think...?...from a place called BASIC POWER....anyway the price....$2200.00...Throw a carb on and your plumbing and go...good luck..

Old 06-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are they 330 hp motors or 420's or 385hp??? If you can give us more info we can probably help ya out more.

Jon
Old 06-24-2002, 12:00 AM
cdaddygreg@aol.

They are the 330h.p. 7.4. I think they are designated Mark IV? The motor turned over but shook the whole boat, oil out of one exhaust pipe but not much water in the oil. I'm hoping for the best and prepping for the worst. I bought the boat the week before Memorial Day and only spent 2 hrs. on the water before this happened! I'm definitely anxious to get it fixed and try to enjoy the rest of the summer. Thanks for any help!

Greg

Old 06-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yank the engine out
Take it to a machine shop, they will tear it down and rebuild it for less than what you would pay for a short block or long block
Believe me I have alot of experience in this area of boating (being a land lubber or a lawn captain if you will)
refresh or rebuilds take approximately 2-3 weeks max (if machine shop is not terribly busy)
Good luck
Jason
Old 06-24-2002, 04:55 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally posted by Jayl13
Yank the engine out
Take it to a machine shop, they will tear it down and rebuild it for less than what you would pay for a short block or long block
Believe me I have alot of experience in this area of boating (being a land lubber or a lawn captain if you will)
refresh or rebuilds take approximately 2-3 weeks max (if machine shop is not terribly busy)
Good luck
Jason
Thats assuming that all the internals are good and can be reused! When you start replacing cranks/rods/heads....etc. things add up way faster then just going out and buying a rebuilt unit!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-24-2002, 05:38 PM
Registered

Hmm I have a 7.4L 330hp with about 198hrs that I pulled a month ago. Moved to bigger power so it's been sitting without a home in the garage. Perfectly complete except for exhuast.

If you want to make an offer pm me, I have no use for it so I can cut a fellow OSO member a deal.

Mike
Old 06-25-2002, 02:44 AM
cdaddygreg@aol.

Thanks for all of the advice! I'll keep everyone posted on the diagnosis and whether it is terminal or fixable.

Greg

Old 06-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Just because water gets in the motor, the internals are not shot
Mine had yoohoo chocolate milk for oil and my internals were fine.
now I see what your saying, possibly bent rod or something but still,
Alot of marine stuff is way over priced, if you go to a good machine shop and just clean up , new bearings, new rings ect and minor work and they reassemble your engine and get you back out there your lookin at minimal money.
unless your machine shop wants to bend you over, clear a path for a mack truck and park it in your butt
Jason
Old 06-25-2002, 03:19 PM
cdaddygreg@aol.

Jay113...Thanks for the info. I'm keeping my fingers, toes, and everything else crossed. I should know something by this afternoon and I WILL pass along the diagnosis and estimate to see if anyone has any ideas or advice. Thanks again to all who have responded to my little crisis.

Greg

Quick Reply: How much $ for a rebuilt 7.4/454 merc.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.